A Conversation for Interview Techniques

Clothes to wear

Post 1

Demon Drawer

Dress according to the job.

If you are applying for a conservative company dress consevatively Dark suit, plain shirt and tie guy. Women a business like suit either skirt or trouser suit. A calm hairstyle and discreet Jewellery and make up.

However if the company is a little more laxed you can add varying degrees of colour. However still look smart and organised, because no matter how laxed the comapny may appear you still have to make a good first impression as someone who will give 100% 110 on weekends for the sake of the company. smiley - smiley


Clothes to wear

Post 2

Somer, Muse of Aged Cheese

I took a business class last year and they told us to wear a casual but nice outfit for a part time or summer job. For example:

Men wear khakis, a nice polo shirt or a button down shirt with a tie.

Women wear a skirt and a matched cardigan set. (usually a sleeveless shirt with a button down sweater in the same color). Slacks are acceptable if they are really nice.

They also told us not to wear jeans, wrinkled/dirty clothes, anything that was "in style"(i.e., hair bandana or giant hoop earrings)and to take out any pierced jewelry that wasn't intended for the earlobes.


Clothes to wear

Post 3

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Formal interview, formal attire. Wear a suit, or at least smart trousers (or skirt for women), shirt (and definitely tie for men) and jacket.. If you turn up and everybody is in trousers and shirt, just leave your jacket on the hook in Reception. I've always work grey pinstripe suits for interviews, and I'm a programmer and normally wear chinos and a short-sleeved shirt to work. My boss wears Rohan trousers and a polo shirt. Doesn't matter. For an interview, you have to give the impression that you're taking them seriously.

Naturally if you're applying for creative director of the WhizzBang.Com website consultancy, this doesn't apply (fluorescent dyed hair and ponytail is the norm,. I believe) but in the real world I vote for the suit every time.


Clothes to wear

Post 4

Barney's Bucksaws

I asked someone in a power job what I should wear for an interview. His off-the-top-of-his-head answer was black suit, showy white shirt. Then, as I'm female, he reiterated: black or charcoal trousers or skirt, white shirt with a good collar - no frills or ties, black taylored jacket. Then he added - no jewelery but my wedding rings, small earrings and my watch. Clean glasses, clean nails, no polish, and clean shiny shoes.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more