A Conversation for The Isle of Wight Space Programme

Damn Shame

Post 1

Kidsturk

I'm an Isle-of-Wighter myself, and I knew the Island had a history of such things but never knew quite how it had all happened...

What was all that business out by the needles not too long ago about?

I think it is a great shame that the programme was stopped so early in the dawn of the satellite age. Especially, as an engineering student, I currently study at Warwick nr. Coventry to get an engineering degree that Westlands are interested in snapping me up with...
Any scope for re-kick-starting the old businesses? There's certainly a lot of skill residing on the Island as I type...


Damn Shame

Post 2

Bluebottle

I definately hope that the old business can be re-surfaced, but alas, without any money going into it, I doubt that anything much will happen. It really depends on funding - yes, the skill is still about, but without money for it all, nothing will happen...

When exactly did what you mean happen around the Needles? In the 60s it was where they tested all the rocket engines - in other words, bolted the rockets down and ignited them - doing all they could to melt the cliff while they made sure that everything worked. If it's something that happened recently, as I'm at Uni too, I'm afraid I'm a little out of touch with recent Island events... smiley - sadface

<BB<


Damn Shame

Post 3

Kidsturk

Er, just rumours really.

I thought they closed off Round that way for some tests a while back- we're talking a few years...

Don't we have some components going up for the ISS?
What are you doing at So'ton uni/Institute then?

Curious to the point of Cat death,

Kidsturk


Damn Shame

Post 4

Bluebottle

Well, if it was a few years ago, I'm afraid I must have missed it...
But as for what is happening now, I expect that with a Westland's apprenticeship, you know more about what's going on than I. The County Press doesn't tell me everything smiley - winkeye (Do you know how hard it is to get a County Press in Southampton? Although I expect it's near impossible where you are!)

But I'm doing History at Southampton Uni at the moment, mainly European stuff, nothing Isle of Wight related so far... But I've always been interested (my friends would say "obsessed" smiley - winkeye) about the history of my Island, and I always enjoy finding out more about what is happening there.

<BB<


Damn Shame

Post 5

shrift

It is a cryin' shame that the rock'n'roll still rocks but the rockets have lost their home.... typical of typicalness!


Damn Shame

Post 6

Bluebottle

That's so true, Shrift...

<BB<


Damn Shame

Post 7

Bluebottle

Replica being built:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-44066938

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Isle of Wight Space Programme

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more