A Conversation for SAS - a History

Iraqi update

Post 21

Sho - employed again!

Actually, I agree with you about the whistleblowers. But most of these people (and I include that Mr. Shayler in this) just want to make a quick buck. I don't notice any of the SAS jumping forward to write in a book the complete and unabridged SAS version (unofficial bootleg copy if you like) of what happened on Gibraltar - probably mostly because the SAS didn't come out of it too well, and it wouldn't have been a bestseller. Also, maybe, because in "those days" it wasn't the done thing.
But (as you have noticed) it really makes my blood boil to see people breaking the OSA just because they feel like it (and the cash comes rolling in) and not because they have uncovered some heinous crime against humanity that was covered up. After all, nobody gets into that kind of job unless they're over 18, and old enough to think these things through (supposedly).


Iraqi update

Post 22

Sho - employed again!

Actually, I agree with you about the whistleblowers. But most of these people (and I include that Mr. Shayler in this) just want to make a quick buck. I don't notice any of the SAS jumping forward to write in a book the complete and unabridged SAS version (unofficial bootleg copy if you like) of what happened on Gibraltar - probably mostly because the SAS didn't come out of it too well, and it wouldn't have been a bestseller. Also, maybe, because in "those days" it wasn't the done thing.
But (as you have noticed) it really makes my blood boil to see people breaking the OSA just because they feel like it (and the cash comes rolling in) and not because they have uncovered some heinous crime against humanity that was covered up. After all, nobody gets into that kind of job unless they're over 18, and old enough to think these things through (supposedly).


Iraqi update

Post 23

Researcher 113899

Hi again. I just reformatted my complicator, and its messed up.

Treason at present holds a life sentence, but at times of war, the deth penalty my be used, after going through Brussels first or something. European Human Rights thang has made happen.

I found out about Gibraltar from Barry Davies, in his Book 'The Rescuers'. Though he wasnt invovled, the is about half a page on the subject, within a chapter of Ulster.

I do agree with Sho's stance on the OSA. You do a job. To do that job you have to give your word to keep to an agreement. The reason why these people publish it, is to simply make money or embrassed the government. But nothing that I have seen is really that damaging is it? Take the Military, Cock ups happen all the time. Military Intelligence, to quote Murphy the Grunt 'is a condratiction in terms'. Our Secret Services doing stuff secretly, wow theres a revelation... smiley - smiley its percived damaging that they do their jobs...

Well thats my view on the subject. Personally I think David Shayler should be given over to the IRA, and see what happens. Might make the fat ass lose abit of wieght. Could even be legal, 'part of the Good Friday Agreement' or is that going to far?


Iraqi update

Post 24

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

What gets up my nose is the Poms using the New Zealand tax-payer funded court system to try and enforce the supression of freedom of speech.

Next thing they will want us to burn witches - or was that the Yanks?

Now if the The Poms were bright enough to use the SAS to intercept rogue NZ published ripping yarns they could burn the books. That would be a good sign of enlightened progress and understanding of the evolution of mankind and recognition of our unique place as thinking beings.

Johnnie, don't read that book, you'll go blind.


Iraqi update

Post 25

Demon Drawer

I think the line about Northern Ireland sums up the factoral detail very well without getting into all the emmotive issues that are going on over here and teht fact that so much of what the SAS has done and been behind over here in the last 30 years is still unknown.

Nice article BTW.


Freedom of speech lives in NZ

Post 26

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Former SAS officer wins right to publish book
06 DECEMBER 2000

A former SAS soldier has won the right to publish a book about his experiences in the Gulf War.

The British Ministry of Defence took the New Zealander, known as Mike Coburn, to the High Court in Auckland in an attempt to stop the publication.

It claimed he breached a confidentiality contract with them, and that material in the book could pose a threat to SAS forces.

But Justice Salmon has ruled against the Defence Ministry and says he believes the Ministry and Mike Coburn will be able to agree about amendments to the manuscipt.

Mr Coburn's lawyer, Warren Templeton, says the ruling is a victory for them and for freedom of speech. - Radio New Zealand


Iraqi update

Post 27

osiris-

I'm not quite sure it was the OSA that he was breaking. After the release of Brave Two Zero and The One That Got Away the SAS introduced a confidentiality agreement that all current soldiers had to sign. It basically said that, for the rest of their lives, they couldn't write about their experiences in the Regiment in any way whatsoever.

As far as I understand it alot of men took it as an insult and refused to sign it, one of them being 'Mike Coburn'. But it was either sign it or you're out.

The reason for Coburn writing his book, Soldier 5, was to put right all the inaccuracies in Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away that had been taken as fact by the general public. In particular I think it was to clear the name of Vince Phillips, one of the members of the patrol, who was blamed, in The One That Got Away and partially in Bravo Two Zero, for some of the problems the patrol encountered. I think it's a bit harsh to say that any of the books were written just to impress girls or make the author look good in some other way.

This is the impression I get from reading articles about the court case. As far as I know the MoD lost the court case and the book was eventually released in New Zealand.


Iraqi update

Post 28

Stuart

Yes, you can still be hanged for Treason, along with piracy on the high seas and setting fire to one of Her Majesties Dockyards, although I think the last one may have been repealed by now as there are not to many of them left.

Stuart


Iraqi update

Post 29

manda1111

Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but if
Researcher "Stuart"
would go back to there own page and then click on the "EDIT PAGE" button and then write a little something about your self then a ACE can come and welcome you there properly
Sorry for interrupting your conversation smiley - ok

Manda smiley - magic



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more