A Conversation for Seeds of the American Revolution

Declaration of Arbroath

Post 1

Red (and a bit grey) Dog


Hi Colonel, just taking up an old invitation to look over the entry. The Declaration of Arbroath (1320) is an interesting and relevent piece of History. Have you ever come across it (I just did).

Red


Declaration of Arbroath

Post 2

Puregenius

Not seen that before. What is it?


Declaration of Arbroath

Post 3

Red (and a bit grey) Dog


Declaration of Arbroath dates from 1320. Following the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 and the resumption of Scottish Independence from the English Crown, Edward II made several attempts to re-inavde Scotland, all of which were thwarted by Robert the Bruce. Bruce had been excommunicated by the Papacy for the murder of one of his rivals for the Crown (John the Red Comyn) 14 years before in a church. Edward had exhorted the Church to take action againstthe Bruce and the Pope duly obliged by not recognising Robert as lawful King of Scotland, confirming the excommunication and ordering him to appear before a papal court.

In response an assembly of Scottish Lords and Clergy in Arbroath replied with the declaration.

The history I found this in states that the DoA is `Unequalled in its eloquent plea for the liberty of man. From the darkness of medieval minds it shone a torch upon future struggles which its signatories could not have forseen or understood.`

Its relevance lies in the fact that in its arguments for Papal neutrality in the wars against the English it draws upon ancient Celtic customs elevating the King from the body of the people by selection. The Declaration sets the will and the wishes of the people above that of the King. Though they were bound to him by feudal custom it was so that their freedom might be maintained. If he betrayed them he might be removed and replaced. One of the key passages goes ...

`Yet if he [THE KING] should give up what he has begun, and agree to make us or our kingdom subject to the King of England or the English, we should exert ouselves at once to drive him out as our enemy and a subverter of his own rights and ours, and make some other man who was well able to defend us our King: for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.`

The Declaration not only affirmed Scottish independence but also justified it with arguments about the nature of governance that predated political thought several hundred years later.

I`m so interested that I have ordered a translation of it through the UK HMSO.

Red


Declaration of Arbroath

Post 4

Jamie

Small point; it should be noted that at the time, the decleration made very little difference, as it did not change the attitude of the Pope at all, as far as I remember.

On the other hand, as an inspiration for political thought it might well be up there with the Magna Carta et al.


Declaration of Arbroath

Post 5

Red (and a bit grey) Dog


Hi Jamie - the immediate effect of the DoA was that the Pope advised Edward II to make peace and he finally recognised the Bruce as King in 1323 on the promise of participation in a crusade. The fact of recognisition really p**sed off Edward II so it had some positive effect smiley - biggrin.

The ex-comm was finally lifted in October 1328.

Red


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Seeds of the American Revolution

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more