A Conversation for Mayan Calendar System

2012

Post 21

U128068

Dudemiester, I'm glad there are some other lovers of things south of the border.
did you know that 15% of the mexican population still don't speak spanish. Respect to the few who keep the present and the past connected. they complete the links that let us live.


2012

Post 22

Dudemeister

I lived there for some time, and have family (in Mexico that is). South of the border for me right now is New York State - a little less exotic, some would say. It makes me happy to see people genuinely concerned and interested about the culture and ethnology of people around them - especially people who's direct ancestors have been around a lot longer - as long as it doen't get all stupid, and people claim to be this and that and want specal rights, etc., etc.

In Canada we now have a new territory in the North inhabited and governed by Inuit and the people who actually live there. This is probably a great idea since they have been there for thousands of years and know what's shakin' up there with the ice and polar bears.It was a big deal when this territory was formed - National identity and proud to be Canadian eh, etc. stuff.



2012

Post 23

U128068

I spent about a month and a half in the south east of Mexico (Mexico City and South East from there), great place with great people although the contrast between the riches in the church at the zocalo in Oaxaca and the beggers outside of town shocked me slightly. I prefered Guatemala as it wasn't so confused by outside influences and seemed more innocent. I spent 3 months there before moving south and would have gladly spent much longer there. I wish I could have seen more of Mexico, who knows maybe I'll be back there sooner than I'd have thought. There's still a lot to learn from the Mayan decendents. I hope the wisdom they have doesn't get washed away by other influences before they get time to spread it in the places that need to hear what they have to say. I think the native non-spanish speakers in Mexico should get more say in the running of their affairs without having to resort to violance. It's a shame that they get ignored but most people in Mexice get ignored by their government, which isn't the least corrupt in the americas by a long way. Fingers crossed it'll be okay.


gotta to but I'll be back soon smiley - smiley


2012

Post 24

Dudemeister

Things are changing in Mexico for the better it seems. The government has some problems with corruption, etc.. But, hey, so does everyone. I'll laugh at anyone who thinks they live in the perfect democracy.

Like I see happen in Canada, people are much more aware in Mexico of the local heritage - It is something to be proud of and to learn from. But Mexico is not as rich as its Northern neighbours and has basic problems to deal with first.

I lived up in the North - which is great for the business climate, and great if you like hot weather, lots of good beef (and mountain biking in the Sierra).

One place I would recommend for the "more adventurous than going to Club Med" is in the south of Veracruz state. If you have been toodling around in Guatemala, etc. this is probably no challenge for you. We took a trip driving down from the city of Veracruz to the little town of Catemaco (this is near Coatzacoalcos - famous for the petroleum industry). It is on a large lake at the edge of the rainforest and is a nice small town too. There are 2 popular hotels on each side of the town. Stay at La Finca, it is the better one, and is not expensive - You have to drive there, there are some tour groups that go their by coach and people drive down from Mexico city - but I beleive it is never really busy and touristy, simply because it is quite a drive - people go to get away. They have an island of monkeys you can visit by boat. Someone made a movie and brought in some monkeys for the set - Monkeys got loose and lived happily ever after stuck on this island.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more