A Conversation for St Paul's Cathedral (from 1666 AD), London, UK

A geology field trip in the heart of the city ?

Post 1

dyvroeth

I thought you wouldn't be able to sleep without knowing that there is a whole world of geology in the stone used to pave and pillar the approach to this magnificent building.

The steps are diorite, with Swedish limestone inserts along the mid-level terrace (and look out for the 500 million year-ish old straight shelled cephalopod fossils). The area just in front of the lower steps is made from fine Cornish granite (possibly from around Bodmin or Carnmenelis). This same granite also frames some large square features made from blocks of a Jurassic limestone (I've seen it said to be Purbeck Marble, but I cannot vouch for authenticity on this). The bollards are of another type of granite altogether, this time almost certainly from Shap in the Lake District - compare the "bling" of the Shap texture with the refined elegance of the Cornish variety.

In case you hadn't guessed - Dyvroeth is from Cornwall smiley - winkeye


A geology field trip in the heart of the city ?

Post 2

Mina

You're right, I'll sleep much better now. smiley - smiley Thanks for the info. smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

A geology field trip in the heart of the city ?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more