A Conversation for Sedna

Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 1

FordsTowel

As most hootooers are aware, a recent redefinition of 'planet', as pertains our solar system, has removed Pluto and Sedna from its ranks. They now reside in a set of object referred to as dwarf planets, but do not meet the 'requirements' to make planet.

An update by the author or editor is probably in order, as a result.

That is all. smiley - towel


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Three years and one update later, this issue still needs to be addressed. The Entry still talks about there being debate about what we should call Sedna. Wasn't it decided in 2006?


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 3

shagbark

The sentence stating that there was concern about it not being Greco-Roman looks dated. There could still be a footnote saying that there was uncertainty about the naming as this is a historical fact.
and yes this name is permanent as far as I can tell, the matter is settled.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 4

shagbark

Also the navigation bar and tour section need to be updated.
Perhaps to match A55393608


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

The navigation bar is easily done. I can just copy it from Eris, if you think that one is suitable.

But the whole tone of this entry about the debate about what's a planet and what's a dwarf planet needs to be tidied, since (a) that's past history now and (b) it's covered in detail in Eris.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 6

shagbark

I agree it should be tidied. Just not omitted entirely.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 7

shagbark

I note the article says:
The classification of 'planet' is still under debate, though its discoverers still maintain it to be a 'planetoid'. The main question is that if Sedna is called a dwarf planet, then should other bodies, such as Quaoar also be considered thus? Indeed, what classifications are necessary to scientifically define an object as a 'planet'?
Actually Sedna is neither a planet nor a dwarf planet,.
I may still be a candidate for dwarf planet status but that has not been finalized. As for the term planetoid that has basically been superceded by plutoid.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 8

shagbark

However Sedna is to far out to fit that label either.
Here is a link to types of Trans-Neptunian Objects
http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/trans_neptunian_objects/facts.html


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 9

shagbark

For the record I give permission for anyone who want to copy the Navigation Bar which I did for the article on Eris.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, shagbark. I don't actually need your permission for something like that, but it's appreciated anyway.smiley - smiley I'll copy it once Eris is published.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 11

shagbark

Another Planetary Society Link
http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/our_solar_system/trans_neptunian_objects/sedna.html
I presume we are waiting for Eris to hit the front page before doing any tidying up here.


Time for an update - Pluto and Sedna

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes. I can't make any further changes to the Eris entry until it is published on the front page.

I can change any of the existing Edited entries, but I'm not supposed to put links in them to Eris until it is published.


Key: Complain about this post