A Conversation for Driving Etiquette - Taiwan

Nice to know,

Post 1

Researcher Taz

but do you have any further info about taiwan? I´ll be in Taipeh next year for some business reason but also like to know some nice spots to go to.

PS:

Traffic is the same in Germany.


Taiwans invisible police,

Post 2

Nudge

Driving in Taiwan is so bad, that I fear for my life every time I go to the corner store to by a pack of gum. Actually, I have gotten quite used to the everyday occurences like; When crossing the sidewalk, you must look both ways for oncomming scooter and motorcycle traffic. When the pedestrian crosswalk light indicates don't walk, that accually means stopped vehicles need to jump into the intersection to make it first to the next stoplight (Hence being the cause of many scooter vs. Porche accidents). The bigger vehicle has the right of way regardless of what the street signs or lights indicate. The only law enforced is "No Right On Red"(and that's the truth).

The police in Taiwan are mainly for; shootouts in obscure towns with notorious gangsters; raiding brothels(known as Barber Shops)that don't make a substantial enough payoff to the local police commisioner; Randomly setting up road-side pull overs(where the police with lit battons wave unsuspecting motorists over) to check papers or something to that effect. In the case of Foreigners however, usually the police will wave you on due to the fact that they cannot speak English (they assume we're all Americans), and they don't want to loose face; and last but not least, the police in Taiwan are for filling the seats of police cars and riding around the city with all emergency lights on for which purpose still evades me.

Genrally, the traffic in Taiwan is fairly smooth because all motorists know the golden rule of Taiwans driving...

"The shortest distance between two points usually involves going through an alley"

Noj Trebor


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Driving Etiquette - Taiwan

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more