Anime. What do *YOU* think it is?

10 Conversations

(This is my first Guide entry and made within two minutes of signing on- so if it sucks, be kind to me.)

Anime.

Oh, look... I lost some people already to the social taboo on one of America's quickest growing obsessions. Those of you that stayed must fall into one of three categories:

1. You're interested in anime, but you've never seen any.
2. You're interested in anime, but you've only seen what's been aired here in America, and maybe you've seen a few other things.
3. You're a die-hard anime fan who will watch almost anything as long as it's animated.

If you fall into group numbers one or two- you may continue reading this- in fact, please do. If you're a die hard fan- I suggest you check out my next entry- "The Problem with Anime. (is there one?)".
Now- to continue...


What do you think of when I say anime? Pokemon? Sailor Moon? Pornographic animations?

Americans all over the country seem to be suffering under a severe misunderstanding of what anime (or japanese animation)is. Everyone who is not already a fan seems to think that anime is all either hentai (perverted) or just another cartoon for little kids.

I know. I was one of them. More about this in future entries.

This image of anime is hardly dispelled by the shows which make it to America, and the form that they make it here in. Pokemon and Cardcaptors were just too cute to begin with, while shows like DragonBall Z and Sailor Moon are severely edited in order to make them more "kid friendly". (if you don't believe me, watch the uncut version of the Sailor Moon R movie- and tell me that was made for children!) And while shows like Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo are helping the image of anime, they still fall short of their Japanese counterparts.

There's really nothing to be done about this, I suppose. Children are the only people who have inherent respect for "cartoons" in this great country of ours, so the shows must be geared towards them, or the ratings plummet. And I understand that it's all about money and not educating the populace. And oddly enough, I don't really mind. I just wish there was some way to educate the populace on this subject, show them that it's not all porn and kiddie shows.

I wish there was some way to make everyone in America think of Revolutionary Girl: Utena or Lain instead of La Blue Girl or Pokemon when someone mentions anime.

I wish that when I said I liked anime, people didn't raise their eyebrows at me, like I was some sort of freak. After all, even with the stigma of childishness, grown people collect baseball cards, and no one thinks *that's* weird.

Wishing never got anyone anywhere, but maybe there *is* something I can do. If you've taken the time to read this much, let me suggest something to you. Do something bizzare today. Go to Blockbuster and rent one of my recommended anime videos- just one. Then sit down and make yourself watch it. The whole thing. It's only a couple of bucks, and about an hour and a half out of your life- and who knows, you might just like it!

And if you don't like it? Well then, when you come across an otaku (anime freak) like me- at least you'll have something to talk about!

Christina Summers (self proclaimed anime freak, and damn proud of it!)


THE LIST OF RECOMMENDED VIDEOS:

Serial Experiments: Lain
(this one's weird. If you like movies with a weird level right
around 12 Monkeys, you'll like this)

Revolutionary Girl: Utena
(this one's a little silly- you grown men looking for blood wouldn't like it much)

Sorcerer Hunters
(A little bit of flesh and a lot of sexual innuendos- but this one's still cleaner than what most people think when they think anime)

Ninja Scroll
(I hate it, personally. I think it's way too violent and bloody. But if you think all anime is like Pokemon, or you're in the mood for a gorefest- it's a good one)

Battle Angel
(Just saw this one the other day. A good, classic anime. A little gorey, but not too bad.)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A412165

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more