Net News 04.08.00

1 Conversation

Nanotechnology Promises Big Changes by Getting Small

Comedian Steve Martin used to have a bit where he'd say "Let's get small". Today he'd probably say "Let's get nano".

Thanks to hyperadvances in nanotechnology, getting small is starting to mean big business.

Nanotechnology is the science of molecule-sized devices. That's right -- computers and machines small enough to, for instance, float around in your bloodstream. Nanotechnology is still a ways off, but it is already revolutionizing our ideas of computing and medicine.

What Is Nano?

A nanometer is one billionth of a meter. That's one thousand, million times smaller than a meter -- perfect for measuring very, very tiny things, such as molecules. According to Nanozine.com, 3 to 4 atoms side by side would measure about a nanometer.

The trick to nanotechnology is building small machines that can grab and rearrange individual atoms. Once you can do that, you can theoretically reproduce anything, any time, in as many quantities as you'd like. And once you create a machine that can replicate itself -- the possibilities are endless.

Nanocomputing

The future includes shrinking PC components to the atomic level. This miniaturization would create mammoth jumps in both power and memory. A supercomputer could be the size of a drop of water.

Nanomedicine

In the future, surgery won't mean going to the doctor for an invasive procedure. Instead, you'll swallow a pill holding thousands of nanobots. These bots will scour your body destroying offending cells.

The implications for nanomedicine are so great that it could even alter the way we age. Nanobots could look for old cells and repair them -- building new ones from the atom up.

Nanofood Supplies

If nanotechnology succeeds in putting an end to aging, then pollution, hunger and disease would be rampant. Although nanotechnology could lead to those problems, it could alleviate them too.

Nanotechnology could clean up toxic waste on the atomic level. Breaking down hazardous materials into innocuous parts. It could even synthesize food on the molecular level, helping prevent starvation and famine.

Of course, these developments are still decades away. Numerous advances must occur before nanotechnology becomes commercially viable. Followed by years of human trials.

But if you were to ask me which aspect of the future is the most exciting, with the most potential to change our lives, then I'd quote Steve Martin: "Let's get small."


OB1 Knordic


07.08.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A408548

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more