A Conversation for Time Travel - the Possibilities and Consequences

Even better paradox...

Post 21

justus jonas

I really like the Bill&Ted-excample. There are so many Novells and Movies that try to construct a paradox by all force, and that's the story. Bill&Ted don'tcare about that, they just use the time-travel-thing without thinking about paradoxes.

By the way:
in Startrek Movies, especially the never ones is usually at least one major mistake in the plot, but nobody cares (me neither). For excample "Meeting of the Generations" (that one with Kirk and Picard). First, Ginan and their people wanted to fly into this annomaly, wich leads to the "nexus", and then this doctor soundso destroys two suns, just to lead it to himself sitting on a planet. But i liked the film anyway.


Even better paradox...

Post 22

Smeagol

Something I never quite understood was the spatial aspect of time travel. If you went back in time, wouldn't you have to also travel in space? I read somewhere that our sun is moving away from the galactic center at something like 1000 miles a minute. if you went back (or forward) in time without moving in space, wouldn't you end up in hard vacum? just moving a couple of years either way would put you completely out of the solar system! Any ideas on this?


Even better paradox...

Post 23

justus jonas

I think youre right! If you consider a construction like the "time tunnel", which is only present in the present, but if you want to build a real time machine, it has to be there at the start AND at the destination of your travel, so you have all the coordinates of your destination points fixed, space and time...


Even better paradox...

Post 24

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - erm
I'd be happy to travel with anyone who'd already worked all that outsmiley - winkeye


Even better paradox...

Post 25

Researcher 152987

I don't see how a time tunnel would only exist in the present.
Any time travelling protocol (concept, machine, wormhole,...) exist at the departure and at the arrival. If you play it provincial and stay in our four dimensional space, it refers on both ends to 4 dimentional coordinates. Which coordinates are relative (say hi to our dear Albert) to your defined space at both ends.
What I mean is that time travel implicates necesseraly the 4 dimensions and so there is no possibility of not knowing were we are going if we know when.


Even better paradox...

Post 26

justus jonas

Yes, let's play it provincial, listen to this one:

Yesterday I went to bed LATE, but this morning I woke up EARLY! Do I move backwards in time? I feel quite sick, and not like working.

And then I sat in front of the TV and when I finally stood up, it was 4 hours later and past sunsett! I travelled 4 hours into the future.

Is it serious?


Even better paradox...

Post 27

Jor


This is a very common disease, many people have it: They permanemtly travel into future!
Scary: you are at one exact moment in time, and suddenly, without doing anything, you are at another exact moment in time, and then you are suddenly... (and so on)
Scientist are working on the problem, but yet they haven't found a cure.


Even better paradox...

Post 28

justus jonas

Did you ever tell a beloved person the sentence:"I wish this moment could last for ever."?

But I have another theory. What if we do NOT trave constantly into the future, but instead leaping back and forth through time, but because we just remeber (only a ffew things about) the past, it makes no difference for us.

And what I'm wondering, too, is, if the people who live now are really living at the same time. At birth, everybody starts at zero, and didn't say Einstein something about everything having it's own time?

Confused over Xmas jj


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more