World Headlines: 16th July 2000

0 Conversations

Indonesia conflict triggers fears of disintegration

Bomb plots, ethnic and regional violence, a sinking currency, a feeble government and a restless military are compounding the sense that Indonesia is approaching meltdown.

  • Should the UN send troops?

  • How does this effect the surrounding region?

US ready to pay for peace deal

The Clinton administration is preparing to ask Congress to approve at least $15bn in extra spending - possibly as much as $40bn - to implement the key terms in any Middle East peace deal reached in the talks at Camp David, it emerged yesterday.

  • Is Israel just another US state?

  • Will this be the solution or the start to war?

Mugabe faces new row on land seizure

The Zimbabwean president, Robert Mugabe, announced a new cabinet at the weekend, dropping several heavyweight politicians and omitting the war veterans' leader, Chenjerai Hunzvi.

  • Were the elections here fair?

  • What now for the land owners?

Neo-Nazis attack refugee hostel

Neo-Nazis are suspected of carrying out an arson attack on a refugee hostel in the western German city of Ludwigshafen early yesterday in which an 11-year-old Kosovan girl was seriously burned.

  • Should neo-nazism be outlawed in Europe?

  • Why after 55 years is Nazism still attracting young people?


OB1 Knordic


17.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A395976

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more