Human Rights Watch

0 Conversations

Vietnam The US is presently in talks with Vietnam to improve its human rights record. Presently the record is described as dismal especially for its abuse of religious freedom. Unauthorized religions are viewed with suspicion and as subversives and include the Hmong Christians, the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam and the Montagnard Christians. Membership of such a religion can result in prison, torture and even death.

USA The Pentagon in the USA intends deploying a new type of mine in Iraq although questions about the remote-controlled antipersonnel device have still to be answered. The new system called 'Matrix' will allow Claymore mines to be remotely detonated by radio signal from several kilometres away. Bearing in mind the blast radius can be up to 300 metres, questions are raised over how the soldier can be sure of a positive identification of the target. Original Claymores also had an over-ride system which meant the victim themselves could detonate the mine, could this happen with the new types? The USA refused to sign up to the Mine Ban Treaty, which bans the use of self-activating mines.

USA The US Supreme Court has ended child executions after being one of only 6 countries which officially allowed them. Amnesty International has, since 1990, been documenting child executions in 8 countries. These were the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, USA, China and Yemen. In that time there were 39 executions, 19 of which were carried out by the USA. Slightly different figures may come from the Human Rights Watch report, which just shows the difficulty in getting information on subjects such as this.

UK It's not often I see the UK on the pages of human rights websites, but the new bill to prevent terrorism is an attack on our human rights. It could also go against the European Court of Human Rights which guarantees the right to a fair trial. In the possibility of house arrest without trial, the UK is compared to Burma.

Sudan A top militia leader, Musa Hilal, has said that the Janjaweed attacks are backed by the Sudanese government. Musa is regarded as the top Janjaweed leader. He was interviewed in September 2004 and has refused all interviews since. The Sudan government has continually denied any involvement in what it terms as 'ethnic clashes'.

Tibet To keep up-to-date with the human rights issues in Tibet please refer to Tibet News by John–the-gardener.

Information and Links

KazSorrel

10.03.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3766403

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more