The Secret Ship Part Two

0 Conversations

Atlantic Conveyor at sea

1982 NEWS FLASH

'Dozens of men are feared dead in the seas around the Falkland Islands after the container ship, Atlantic Conveyor, and the destroyer HMS Coventry were hit by Argentine missiles1'

The Run Ashore

The 'press officer' turned up precisely on time in a chauffeur driven sleek black staff car. The jolly-faced, smartly dressed, middle-aged man poked his head out of the window.
'Come on, hop in.'


The mystery tour began. We started in the centre of the city at quite a posh bar where I was supplied with a pint of beer. There was not much chat as my host spent most of the time looking round, studying faces of other drinkers. I had managed to sup about half when he turned and divulged a practiced smile.
'Time to move on, old chap, if we are going to have a proper pub crawl eh?'

The scene repeated itself at a second pub and then a third. A mad hatters tea party, if ever there was one. Just after closing time, I quite unexpectedly found myself in the Ace of Clubs, a notorious if rather shabby Plymouth nightclub.
'A good place for a nightcap, don’t you think?' And he was off to the bar again.

There was a noisy crowd of sailors at the centre of the smoked filled dance floor. The tars were whooping and yelping at a lovely young stripper who was down to her last garment and gyrating sensually. I wandered over for a closer look. I had never seen a stripper before and was actually somewhat embarrassed. Unlike the roaring matelots, I avoided staring at the gentle curves of her perfectly shaped breasts and concentrated on the pretty face and mischievous smile. But before long her eyes found mine and she turned to give me a better view.

My host was at my shoulder and handed me another pint. Then he was up to his old tricks looking round the room shiftily. He had been generous, but the drink was loosening my tongue and I felt things needed to be said.


'Look, I am grateful for the beer and the transport, but well we have been rushing around like mad things. I really had better get back, its my last night at home.'


He leaned towards me, voice a whisper.
'Truth is, I would like you to meet someone. Bit of a snag though. Can't find the beggar.'

I glanced round furtively, before joining in the secret game.

'You know, I thought you had been acting a bit strangely.'
'This no joke, young fellow. Now drink up, there's one place left we haven't tried. Quick snifter there and tha's it. Let's hope he is there, for all our sakes. I'll just get my coat and we will be off.'

I turned back. The stripper had finished but the lads were still lazing around, pints in hands slopping their beer, gesticulating, joking, as they re-enacted the performance. I was aware of someone beside me. I sighed, then looked. It was the stripper. Although she now had an overcoat on, I blushed and averted my eyes. Not so brave now. She was a few years younger than me and completely at ease, smiling pleasantly.
'Would you like some business?' she said smoothly, voice like silk.

'Business? what the heck is she going on about?' I thought.

Just then, my guide returned and ushered me away.
'I am afraid he has other duties tonight, dear,' he said, winking salaciously at the young girl...

Helicopter transfer

The Secret Ship Archive

Cadwallon

10.03.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3764739

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more