A Conversation for Putney, London, UK

putney

Post 1

Researcher 191253

The duel fought between Pitt the Younger and Tierney actually happened on what used to be Putney Bowling Green, now the cricket pitch at the Telegraph, where (I think) the Spencer's Arms now stands.
Other inane facts: Off the High Street, in Lacy Road, Putney Hippodrome was often used as a film studio, and soon before it was demolished, played host to Vincent Price's last film: Theatre of Blood.
Benjamin Disraeli lived in what is now Disraeli Road.
Other famous residents/ex residents: Pierce Brosnan (who used to drink with his dad in The Quill, and whose first cinema experience was watching Goldfinger at Putney Cinema aged 7), Fergie (briefly), Simon and Yasmin Le Bon, Pauline Collins, Sally Phillips (off Smack the Pony), Josie Lawrence, that bloke out of My Life Story, and um, Right Said Fred, who used to own Dance Attic in Putney Bridge Road.
This is by the by, but every pub that's been nostalgaically namechecked is falling victim to that most frightening phenomenon: 'modernisation' - as a consequence, the Fox and Hounds now feels like a milk bar, and the Spotted Horse is frightening the crusty old barflies away. Mercy!


putney

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hello Researcher 191253!
Nice to see you here and read your thoughts.smiley - smiley
Would you please be so kind as to post something on your personal space, {click the edit page button, type something like 'Hello world' then click the update button} then you can be officially welcomed to h2g2.
smiley - biggrin
Your ACE will give you some interesting links and be on hand to answer any questions you may have about the site.
Welcome, anyway!

Galaxy Babe
smiley - flyhi


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more