A Conversation for Newmilns, Ayrshire, Scotland

loudoun Valley

Post 1

Rab the Ranter

Hiya, Errata : Newmilns is not situated in the Loudoun Valley. It is in the Irvine Valley, so called because the river Irvine runs through it, technnically it is the Upper Irvine Valley (because the source is at Loudoun Hill - the start of the valley) but is more commonly known as the Irvine Valley. There is a Loudoun Valley Boys Club but I think they are so called because they didn't want to be associated with Irvine town.
I know this because I was born and bred there. Also, why no mention of the lace industry in Newmilns? it was/is just as strong as in Darvel. Also made there as excellent crucibles and refactories.
Please correct the entries, us Newmilns people get sad when innaccuracies about our wee toon are listed.

Yours sincerely

Robert Mair
(ex High Street)


loudoun Valley

Post 2

Munchkin

Hello,
I have always called it the Loudoun Valley, because of the hill, as did most of the people who I knew at school (Loudoun Academy) but perhaps we were just the weirdy section. Fair doos on the lace/cruicible thing, I well remember my dodgy TV reception from Vesuvius' roof. I'm not sure how to go about updating one of these things, once they have become an edited entry, but I'll have a wee ask around, and see if I can't improve it.

Always happy to get suggestions,
Brian Milton (ex Darvel Road, and Darvel for that matter, but it has been a while) smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Newmilns, Ayrshire, Scotland

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more