A Conversation for Benford's Law

Random/Double-Random?

Post 1

Login

Doesn't this work only work when repeating the experiment with a varied upper limit?

Suppose the upper limit was 29. Wouldn't the chances of the first digit being one or two be the same (33.3%)?

With a random upper limit the mentioned distribution pattern applies:

1. Pick any number greater than 10. Call it x.
2. Pick any number between 1 and x. Call it y. Do this 800 times, recording all values for y.
3. Go back to 1 and keep repeating until you get really bored, then do it 799 more times for good measure.

Without step 3, you will get a distribution pattern where one has the best chance of being the first digit, but the chances might be the same for two, if the x is greater than 29. I'm sure that would come up with some interesting patterns though, based on the value of x.

It is a curious little law. Do you know of any specific applications?


Random/Double-Random?

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

One application is the detection of fraud.
We run the following SQL across a database table of payments:

select count(*), userid_cd, right(reverse(convert(varchar(100), o_act_trans_amt)),1)
from tclmtrxn
group by userid_cd, right(reverse(convert(varchar(100), o_act_trans_amt)),1)

and then graph it using Excel.

Now if an employee is commiting a fraud they will tend to put in payments near the upper range of their authority limit (i.e. a not random distribution) so there will be a spike on the digit just below their payment authority limit...not cast iron proof, but indicative of a need to look in more detail at their schedule.

I believe that the SETI program also uses this to look for non-random radio signals i.e. intelligent ones, but have no hard and fast proof of this.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more