A Conversation for Irish Dancing

No Subject

Post 1

Researcher 195920

this piece which has been written about irish dance has a lot of mistakes in it. For a start, the levels of irish dance which have been detailed are incorrect for this country and only partially correct for America.
The order in which the dances are learned is also wrong, as is the description of what dancers wear.
The mistakes should read as follows:

Levels in the uk go:Beginner, Primary, Intermediate, Open
Levels in the US go:Beginner, Advanced Beginner,Novice, Open Prizewinner, Preliminary Championship, Open Championship.

As for the order of dances learned, it is my experience that usually the first soft shoe dance learned is the reel and the first hard shoe dance learned is the heavy jig. Set dances such as St Patricks day only come much later on.

Dresses. Class or school dresses are only worn until the dancer attains intermediate grade in one of her dances. Then she can buy her own solo dress, which can cost up to £700.

Dances can be videoed at a feis, but flash photography is not allowed.

Hope this makes things clearer


No Subject

Post 2

Researcher 215268

dances cant be videoed at a feis - if you try it you may get abuse from very irate parents or teachers, sure as we know they are all bonkers


corrections

Post 3

GillieGirl

yes, there are some mistakes, and will be corrected soon enough. I hope.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more