A Conversation for The Beatles and the Birth of the Music Video

Filmed on video tape?

Post 1

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I just want to highlight the oddness of the confluence of the two technologies.

Were the Beatles short films to the tune of their singles distributed to the television studios on film, a la sixteen millimeter, or reel to reel video tape? From what little I've seen of the clips, I would say they were shot on film, as video cameras of the time were pretty close to useless and did not do colour outside with any fidelity.

I would guess that a 35 millimeter camera was used for the actual shoot and then duped down to 16.

The confusion between video and film has always irritated me.
I have acquaintances at this late date who have no idea that the difference is that you can hold one up to the light and actually see the image and that you can rerecord over the other one...

The problem is compounded today by the existence of DVD films and video DVDs and CD Rom video.... As well as the existence of digital film cartridges... smiley - headhurts


Filmed on video tape?

Post 2

h2g2 Guide Editors

Exactly - the Beatles were the first to create a promotional film for their singles, but Queen were the first to create a Music Video as we know it today.

smiley - musicalnote


Filmed on video tape?

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Oops - wrong account

That was me, SashaQ, Queen fan smiley - musicalnote


Filmed on video tape?

Post 4

Bluebottle

You're right - the 'music videos' were shot on film, rather than videotape. Film was a far more universal medium that was compatible worldwide, between Europe's PAL television system and North America's NTSC. Filming in colour allowed them to be shown in America, even though colour broadcasting did not begin in Britain until 1967 on BBC2 (following trials in 1966), but film was easy to convert to black and white for home and Commonwealth consumption.

But for some reason, musical films are commonly called 'music videos' even when filmed.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Beatles and the Birth of the Music Video

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more