The h2g2 Poem

0 Conversations

Season's Song

Winter solstice

Wonder of life

Just a moment

For the sunshine

It takes only

That much of time:

Turning over

Darkness to shine

Celebrated

Ancient of times

Standing the sun

Silent in night

Humans called it

Many of ways

While worshipping

Longer of days

Freezing winter

Will you go way?

Warmth of sunshine

Melt you away

Sparkling blue sky

Glorious days

Never ending

Life is on way.

smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rose

About Winter Solstice in a Nutshell

In the Northern Hemisphere of the Earth the Winter Solstice has been known since ancient times and celebrated in many ways.

Astronomy states that a 'Solstice' occurs when the Earth is tilted the most away or towards the Sun. It literally means 'The Sun stands still' and covers both the summer (longest) and winter (shortest) days of the year. The Winter Solstice marks the turning point when the Earth, in her rotation, begins to tilt the opposite way to the Sun and does so until it reaches the Summer Solstice in June - the longest day of the year.

As we are approaching the Winter Solstice of 2004 I did a little research about the history of these celebrations.

As yet I haven't been able to find out when and who started the realisation of the Winter Solstice but there are documents showing that the Romans celebrated Saturnalia at this time of the year. Perhaps, before that, it is likely that the Persian Sun worshippers recognized the significance of this event in Nature.

In human history many cultures developed in many places by even many more people. As we know today there is Saturnalia, Christmas, Yule, Hanukah, Kwanzaa and Human Light to mention some of those celebrations happening about the same time in December. The actual date of the Winter Solstice falls either on the 21st or 22nd of December.

This is a remarkably broad theme which I found very interesting and entertaining. You, too, could spend many happy hours looking around the mystery of the Thousand Years of Christmas.

Winter Sunrise Painting by Blue Bird

Poetry and Prose Archives

Blue Bird

09.12.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3383147

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more