A Conversation for Knives

Is a sword a sort of knife?

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Can a sword be seen as a variety of "knife," where human beings are the "stuff?"


Is a sword a sort of knife?

Post 2

Phil

I would have thought that you're correct there Fragilis. The sword is nothing but a big knife, which means you don't have to get as close to what you want to poke or cut - good if you're dealing with unfriendly people or nasty animals. I guess you could also apply a similar thing to spears - small knife, long handle.


Is a sword a sort of knife?

Post 3

Mr_Tuvai

For all intents and purposes, yes, a sword would just be a really long knife that people tend to use on each other, instead of more constructive uses like woodcarving or eating. However, if someone happens to have a sword at a given moment and looks like they might want to use it on you, that is not the time to refer to it as a "knife". Most swordsmen would find it insulting.


Is a sword a sort of knife?

Post 4

AirenCoch

simplisticly you might refer to a sword as a "long knife" however by definition a knife would have a length of less than 16 inches. Any blade over 16 inches would be a sword. Knives are considered tools where as swords are considered weapons, even though a knife can be used as a weapon that is not its sole purpose in life like a sword.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more