A Conversation for Mormonism - A Question and Answer Session

Conversely....

Post 21

Dudeyone

I can't believe you take it all so seriously!!!!


Conversely....

Post 22

Researcher 192341

Like I said, people look on this post to ask questions. Some are genuine seekers of truth and deserve respect and proper answers not flippant dismissal.


Conversely....

Post 23

Researcher 192341

Or simply put- things that affect eternal salvation are too important to triffle with.


Teach.... Don't Preach!

Post 24

oldaardvark

I have read your comments with interest. I have also read some of the other comments from Born again Christians. I have no axes to grind with any of you. I am not a Christian, I have no faith. I have not worshipped since the age of 11 years old. I have not lead a bad life. I am married with 2 children who I am trying to bring up as decent open minded members of society. I agree wholeheartedly when you say 'do the right thing for the right reason' I strive to do this every day. I have had many conversations with my friends of all faiths including Mormon, Witness, Quaker, RC, Anglican, Moslem, Hindu, Zoroastrian, Jew. Religion to me does not ask questions at all but seeks to give answers. Most religions offer salvation through devotion to God and correct behaviour towards fellow inhabitants of this planet. I have not yet found a religion that says be bad, lie cheat, steal and let down those around you.
I am not searching for answers, I do not even know what the questions are, but it amazes me how inteligent people can be so closed minded to other possibilities. There has been an interesting TV programme about the origins of the Bible and the Old Testament. This well researched show has certainly raised questions as to the accuracy of both, highlighting serious inconsistencies between not only the Gospels but also the books of the Old Testament. These books can no longer be considered as absolute. So how do we best go about our lives. Do the right thing by your fellow man. Allow him the freedom to develop and to question, help him understand that answers are not always simple black or white but shades of grey. Recognise that we are not all the same or have the same potential either because of nature or nurture, but equally help others to recognise and achieve their own full potential and add value to everyone and everything that they have interactions with.
Why are we here? I do not know
How did we arrive? I do not know
Where are we going? I do not Know
What should we do? Do the right thing for the right reason

Is there a God? I do not know.
Could we exist without a God? on balance, probably.
Do we need religion in order to do the right thing? No, just a good set of moral values and self belief.
Keep asking those questions, but do not always expect an answer that you can understand.


Teach.... Don't Preach!

Post 25

Researcher 192341

"There has been an interesting TV programme about the origins of the Bible and the Old Testament. This well researched show has certainly raised questions as to the accuracy of both, highlighting serious inconsistencies between not only the Gospels but also the books of the Old Testament."

My wife and IU watched that too with a great deal of interest and it showed exaclt why we have the Book of Mormon. It is another witness, another point of reference. It was also translated directly from the plates it was written on so does not have the omissions and misinterpretation of the Bible. Hence is gives a much clearer explanation of:

Why are we here?
How did we arrive?
Where are we going?
What should we do?


Conversely....

Post 26

vogtsmustgo

I just came by this conversation and thought that I would mention something.

I find it interesting that the ones that started the conversation are also the ones that are upset when someone responds to them. It is common sense that if you want to start a conversation, you are open and non judgmental. But if you want to start an argument (aka debate) then expect to have people discount your opinions.

I think it was Deuce that started this out as an argument/debate. Ok, that is what the conversation or thread will be about. In his last post he seems upset that others are not as supportive of his opinion as he would like them to be. Well, this is a debate and others don't have to agree with you.

In contrast, Researcher 192341's tone seems to indicate a conversational style where he would appreciate a discussion of the issue. Ok, then that sets the tone for another thread or conversation. Researcher 192341, don't get offended at the tone of this thread, just realize that Deuce has a different agenda then you.

Now for my opinion. I feel that if there are people who are making serious inquiries, of course you do not deride and dismiss them. But, that is not what Deuce is doing. He is not interested in listening to opinions,he just wants to "vent" as he puts it.

When I do my Home Teaching or go to a former member or less active's house who is struggling with some doctrine or principle, or has been offended in some way, I talk with them to understand them and then ask them what they would like. Do they just need someone to listen to them, or do they need help understanding a question that they have. Life is a sharing experience.


Conversely....

Post 27

Researcher 192341

Hi vogtsmustgo,

I'm not at all offended by what you are saying but I do believe that there is a little misunderstanding.

Please do re-read the thread and understand who is saying what to whom. I understand where Deuce was coming from and we actually seemed to get a connection and see each other's point of view.

However this was a three-way conversation and it was the interjections from Dudeyone, another party, whose postings were dismissive and derisive, which seemed quite out of keeping with the example a church member and RM should show.

Thanks for your comments.


Teach.... Don't Preach!

Post 28

littlesunlight

What was your question??As far as following your peers or spouting off the correct answer or what you think other people want to hear?No, i don't think you should do that-you should follow your heart.
All i can say to you is I have studied the book of mormon-I was raised as protestant & attend catholic church from time to time. I understand what you are talking about when you say that you saw the elders picking someone who was next in line to assume the duties of the one who had passed on(i.e.because god said so) No, it doesn't seem fair, nor does it seem justified. I have also seen a lot that i disagree with in organized religion. As far as I can tell, god gave us a mind to think with & use-this is what this our brains are for, and it seems you have done just that-you are using your mind to figure out your answers. peace to you brother


Teach.... Don't Preach!

Post 29

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

I am a new sister into the church of latter day saints
I was baptised by the person I plan to spend the rest of eternity with
I beleve wholeheartedly in the church and I know that blessings will come to me from that
I am not a fool but a well informed young woman who has looked into many options before finding a faith that i trusted to be true
the missionarys who gave me the discussions told me things I already knew in my heart and knew to be true
and I was lead to feel of the spirit through them

my parents disapprove of all religion in any form and as such I left there household to persue my faith
I have read most of the book of mormon and many parts of the bible
and never do i feel the spirit stronger than when I pray with a pure heart and contrite spirit
this is not a testimony because i have not the courage to tell people of my heart
this is mearly the begings of what i know in my heart
and i find it a hard thing indeed when people cirisise what I beleve
because I give the upmost of respect to them...

Dr Anthea.


Key: Complain about this post