A Conversation for The Legacy of Milton S Hershey

world famous?

Post 1

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

Are Hershey brand products really world famous? I (in the UK) only know of them through an Ira Gershwin song lyric.

Konrad


world famous?

Post 2

Jimi X

Hershey's chocolate was standard issue in US Army rations from World War 2 to at least the VietNam War.

The GIs would often use a candy bar as currency with locals. And it is a part of American popular culture (like the Gershwin song you referred to), so I reckon that's a fair statement.

Hershey has had difficulty penetrating the European markets because it is different from 'traditional' European chocolate like Cadburry's. But in the developing world, where they can keep it from melting into a wrapper of goo, Hershey's brand is rather famous. I believe it is the #1 selling candy company in America with M&M/Mars a close second.

smiley - choc

Cheers!

- X


world famous?

Post 3

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

Well fair enough, if you can get the majority of the world on your side then you win!

I'm interested in how it doesn't taste like Cadbury's now (not that I like milk chocolate particularly.

Cheers

Konrad


world famous?

Post 4

Jimi X

Cadburry's is a sweeter, almost caramel-tasting chocolate with a smoother mouthfeel.

Europeans claim that Hershey's tastes like 'rancid milk'.

It's all a matter of taste and what you're used to really. I prefer the Hershey's taste, but I can stomach the others. Most Europeans, including our beautiful community editor, can't stand Hershey's.

*shrugs*

Diversity is what makes the world go round - well, that and solar gravitation. smiley - winkeye

Cheers!! smiley - choc

- X


world famous?

Post 5

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

Being rancid it'll be popular in Tibet, no doubt.


world famous?

Post 6

Hyosho

Personally I find Hershey chocolate disgusting - it's like 'normal' chocolate that's gone off a bit - you know, when it gets that white dusty coating.

This is wierd, as the Americans are usually really good with snack foods - Does anyone know where I can get Twinkies in the UK?


world famous?

Post 7

Peta

It's true about the chocolate, I much prefer creamy Belgian or Swiss chocolate, or Cadbury's, Hershey's has a much drier taste, not so melt in your mouth.

Twinkies, you can't get them in the UK as far as I know. Our h2g2 Communications expert was an American and he wanted to show us Twinkies, but he had to get an aunt to send them over to him special delivery.


world famous?

Post 8

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Well, are the taste test results from Tibet back yet?

JTG smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Legacy of Milton S Hershey

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more