A Conversation for Harry Potter

Rowling vs Jones

Post 1

Sol

Now, before I start I would just like to say that I did enjoy reading the Harry Potter books and I'm pleased they are so popular and so on, but, what I don't understand is why these books in particular? Cos in many ways the books by Diana Wynne Jones are similar: realistic/real world setting overlaid with fantastical elements, pragmatic approach to magic, not too twee or sympathetic heros/heroines (they don't always get it right) and who have less than perfect home lives, kids who spend a deal of time figuring it out for themselves with (flawed)adults staying well back, etc etc. I have a feeling that Jones' books maybe a tad darker, but then isn't the no compromise approach favoured by Rowling something that she is praised for? Almost everything I've read about R could be said about J too, and I got a real feeling of dejavu as I was reading the books themselves. I may also add that in my opinion, Jones has the edge too, but I'm prepared to agree to disagree on that point.


Rowling vs Jones

Post 2

Jim Lynn

On the available evidence, I'd have to agree that Diana Wynne Jones is the better writer. I enjoy the HP books, but I *love* most of Jones' work. 'The Homeward Bounders' is the only book that I have read more than once that makes me cry *every time* I read it.

But who knows - if Rowling were to write something other than Potter, we might get a sense of her real breadth as a writer. For now, I just appreciate a writer who can tell a great story, just as Jones can.

It's nice to meet someone else who's actually *heard* of DWJ. What are your favourites? Do you have the same trouble I have finding copies of her work?


Rowling vs Jones

Post 3

Sol

You betcha. I used to go into bookshops and be infuriated that they would have one sad copy of one of her less interesting books. Though I must say I read most of them from the library anyway. I assumed that things would be better over the internet, but I haven't put much effort into trying it out. As yet. There are a couple of web pages that offer her books though. But that's my point really: why HP and not her? They even did a TV series that was said too be pretty popular. Ah well.
Favourites? Archer's Goon, Homeward Bounders, the Caprona one (can't remember the title offhand), Howl's Moving Castle, Witch Week in no particular order. Probably others too actually, I'm not that picky, but you can tell I'm not one for the darker side of life really. I like em cos they're practical and interesting, rather than merely fantastical sword-slinging.
As to her being a better writer, I was giving this more thought, and I decided to stick to my guns after all. Quite apart from anything else there are a few glaring inconsistancies in the HP universe, which you don't get in Jones' books. Though she tends to explain her worlds less and leave it to the immagination, which does help. The hours I've spent trying to satisfy my own mind as to the Archer's Goon siblings' origins.


Rowling vs Jones

Post 4

Jim Lynn

Have you ever read 'Tough Guide to Fantasyland'? Or the novel it inspired, 'Dark Lord of Derkholm'? Both very clever (as usual).


Rowling vs Jones

Post 5

Sol

Read the tough guide, haven't read the other. Good. Gives me something to look forward to.


Rowling vs Jones

Post 6

FABT

Tough Guide : best book ever written.
Witch Week : one of the top ten best ever until i fell in love with HP (sorry) although nothing could beat the describing food scenes or the fate of the infamous football boots.
Archers Goon : is in a class of its own. i mean the lines, "Howard came home to find it full of Goon," and "Fifi started trying to make tea around the edges of him" are never going to be matched. Invent a new literary award for the vomiting match between venturis and awful....

I think the problem hear is that we are trying to compare Star Wars and Born on the Fourth of July. Impossible.

I think HP will get darker and therefore better though so hold your breath.

FABT


Rowling vs Jones

Post 7

Sol

Yeah, well, at the risk of climbing down abit, I've now read the 3rd and 4th HP books, and they are indeed getting better.

But I disagree that they are fundamentally different. I think they are very similar writers, it is just that Jones is better.

Having said that, I walked into a bookshop the other day and in pride of place (next to the HP display) were copies of an apparently reprinted Jones, along with some other favourites like the Dark is Rising series. I am willing to forgive Rowling almost anything just for that triumph.


Rowling vs Jones

Post 8

$u$

http://www.whsmith.co.uk listed 25 books when I searched for Diana Wynne Jones, so if anyone is looking for something, try there.

I've already got the first 3 HP books through WHSmith Online, at half-price or less, and most books are discounted. Although UK based, they will send them anywhere. I also found some Pratchett books for a researcher in the US, who ordered them from there.

I've never read Jones, and to be honest haven't read that much of the HP books (though my son has just read all 3 again, in as many days!) Did enjoy Neil Gaiman's 'Stardust' though, which is another fantasy type book.

Personally, I'm still struggling my way through an X-Files book at the moment, and it is indeed a struggle! The occasional good bits are making me persistent though.smiley - winkeye

So what would be recommened as a first Jones book for me to try? And are they 'suitable' for kids too, like Rowlings' books are meant to be?

~A~


Rowling vs Jones

Post 9

Agrajag

I think that the HP series will definately get a lot better and more serious... in the 4th book we see a semi-main character die(Cedric), are shown hateful prejudice against another main character with the prejudice against Hagrid, and we are see the shortcomings of one of the kinder characters(Fudge). The 5th book will probably get more "Grown-up". I look forward to it...

Can't say anything about Mrs. Jones, but, what age group are her books for?


Rowling vs Jones

Post 10

Jim Lynn

The majority of Jones' books are for children (older children, although some are written more for younger ones).

A good place to start might be one of the Chrestomanci books. Witch Week might appeal to HP fans, and Charmed Life is great fun.

And talking of Rowling getting darker, have you read Hexwood? I thought that got pretty heavy. Fire and Hemlock too.

My personal favourite is 'The Homeward Bounders.' I can't read it without blubbing at the end, but it's a superb adventure.

Then there's 'A Tale of Time City' which is crying out to be filmed (although it would cost a fortune).

Oh heck - just read *any* of them. I guarantee you'll want to read more.


Rowling vs Jones

Post 11

Sol

Well, yeah, Fire and Hemlock and Hexwood are pretty dark, but they are supposed to be for older teens. I like that about her books too; they don't pander to the kids (the whole premis behind the Witch Week world is pretty nasty), but she hits the right tone for whichever age group she is writing for. Though of course I still like 'em and I'm well beyond it now, so they are damm good stories too. I hope that the HP books start lightening up a bit. The last one was positively harrowing so I am somewhat worried about how much worse the next one is gonna be. Maybe, though, it is because I don't know the end of the saga and am stuck in the middle of a battle which hasn't been won yet.


Rowling vs Jones

Post 12

$u$

Thanks for the ideas.smiley - smiley

Think I might have to try the good old fashioned method of actually going into a bookshop, and reading the blurb, and seeing which age group the book(s) have been placed in. Definitely something for the Xmas list though.smiley - winkeye

~A~


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more