A Conversation for Second Cup Coffee

guy smiley

Post 1

krikkitt

isn't guy smiley the game show host from sesame street? and isn't the guy that screams "i'll never get it right, never, never, never" the composer/ piano player (and i can't remember which composer or which song) from sesame street? maybe i'm old and senile....


guy smiley

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

As the sub I checked the reference to Guy Smiley on the web that is where the footnote comes from. Being a senile New Zealander it takes a lot of work to be a knowlegable (believable) Canadian coffee chain neutral.


guy smiley

Post 3

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

As the sub I checked the reference to Guy Smiley on the web - that is where the footnote comes from. Being a senile New Zealander it takes a lot of work to be a knowlegable (believable) Canadian coffee chain neutral - and to get a posting accurate smiley - bigeyes Maybe Guy is a coffee-loving, senile, Sesame Street fan (ex-writer?)


guy smiley

Post 4

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Yep, I was wondering whence that "blast from the past" feeling came when I read Guy Smiley and "I'll never get it right".

I can confirm with 100% confidence that Guy Smiley was the game show host on Sesame Street. I can't remember the piano composer's name either, but he would usually start off by 'composing' a nursery rhyme like "Mary Had a Little Lamb", then completely cock up the lyrics and rhymes. He would bang his head on the piano each line of the verse and say the immortal lines "I'll never get it right, never, never." As he went on, the nursery rhyme would mutate from its original verses and become something entirely different (and quite strange as I recall)

If I can stretch my memory, I think the composers name was Don something???

Can anyone else help out on this one?


guy smiley

Post 5

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

they were both muppets, BTW


guy smiley

Post 6

krikkitt

i asked jeeves...long url, but check this out.
http://www.ask.com/main/metaAnswer.asp?MetaEngine=Excite&logQID=515EDCEA1267D41180B5009027737F9C&qCategory=tv_&qSource=0&frames=yes&site_name=Jeeves&ads=&MetaTopic=Characters+on+Sesame+Street+and+the+Muppet+Show&MetaURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-cs-students.stanford.edu%2F%7Ecsilvers%2Fmuppet-characters.html&EngineOrdinal=3&ItemOrdinal=4&ask=name+of+the+muppet+song+composer+on+sesame+street+metasearch&origin=0&MetaList=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-cs-students.stanford.edu%2F%7Ecsilvers%2Fmuppet-characters.html&x=19&y=12

it's "don music"


guy smiley

Post 7

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Of course, why didn't memory serve better - well, at least I got his first name right smiley - smiley

And thanks for the link - nothing like taking a stroll down the murky recesses of childhood recollections...


guy smiley

Post 8

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Hey people, I have emailed the editors at h2g2 Towers about the error. Hopefully the article will be updated and corrected in the near future. Thanks. smiley - bigeyes


guy smiley

Post 9

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

The reference to the jazz band being Guy Smiley could very well be correct, in that a band simply took their name from these characters - it was just funny to see them turn up in a discussion of coffee chain stores...

it's hard to tell from Australia as well smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post