A Conversation for Climbing Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa

South Africa - the journey

Post 1

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Hi Mike A,

a very interesting entry! Have you more good tips about South Africa? I'm going there in 1 or 2 weeks, so let me know.

Kasia


South Africa - the journey

Post 2

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Hey, I wrote the thing!

But seriously where abouts are you going? I mostly know Cape Town, and there's loads to do - visit the waterfront, go down to Cape Point are the most particular things.
Check out my article on Cape Town.

Have a good time though


South Africa - the journey

Post 3

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Hi Swiv,

sorry for my mistake!

Well, I'm going to East London, because I have friends living there. It will be a short stay (2 weeks), but I hope I'll have the possibility to go to Cape Town. Do you know something, which is called the Garden Route?

BTW: today is a house-warming-party by CyyStCyr http://www.h2g2.com/A347140 maybe you'll pop in smiley - smiley? It's starting about 8 p.m. european time.

Kasia


South Africa - the journey

Post 4

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Yeah - the garden route is really lovely, round the coast rather than through the karoo. you can get a bus from East London to Cape Town (I think its less than a hundred rand - 10 )pounds) but when I did it in February, it went overnight so I didn't see too much. However Cape Town is really worth the visit if you can manouvere getting there. It has the most to see of any of the South African cities, probably due to the fact of its colonial history.
Sorry didn't make the house waming - time and email centres are in short supply in Tanzania!

Have a good time.
Swiv smiley - smiley


South Africa - the journey

Post 5

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Thanks a lot for your advice. I would love to go to Cape Town by bus - but daylight is better, I guess. The problem I have are my friends: because the situation seems to be not very good, they are ancious to let me go by myself. Well, we'll see; I'm starting on July 12th.

Kasia


South Africa - the journey

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Grayhound buses are fine and safe, so if you use them you should be fine. And Cape Town is one of the safer cities, if you don't drive around the township areas by yourself at night.
I don't know anywhere good to stay (always stay with relatives), but your friends might.


South Africa - the journey

Post 7

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Greyhound - I didn't know they are also in SA. That's quite a good idea.

BTW: I'm starting JUNE 12th, not July.


South Africa - the journey

Post 8

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

AAHhh well, have an even better trip then.
Monday is my birthday!!! so I am having a party in Harare with my friend smiley - smiley

let me know how you go


Key: Complain about this post