A Conversation for The Ten Commandments

Are the ten commandments for people at a certain stage in development?

Post 1

Vestboy

All these owning and envying commandments are for societies that hold possessions in high esteem. If we were talking about people who live communal lives someone holding something to themselves may be seen as wrong. The "written on their hearts" claim does not seem to work if you look at greed and selfishness.

Someone with way more than they need is protected by the "though shalt not steal" and "though shalt not envy" commandments. Surely what they do is a sin, hoarding for themselves while others go without.

In the Gospels Jesus teaches a new prayer. In it he says, "Give us this day our daily bread."

There is no, "Give ME this day MY daily bread." or even "Give me this day enough bread to feed me for the rest of my life and a while beyond that."

So if I have more than my daily bread maybe I got someone else's too and I need to find out who it belongs to so that I can pass it on.


Key: Complain about this post

Are the ten commandments for people at a certain stage in development?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more