A Conversation for Germany

Aldi

Post 1

Voodoo-Chile

Well, I think LIDEL has to be recognized, too.


Aldi

Post 2

Floh Fortuneswell

LIDL!!
Well, I prefer the ALDIbaran-Temple smiley - smiley


Aldi

Post 3

Voodoo-Chile

Excuse me,
I'm just a stupid pupil, but I don't know what's Aldibaran.
I have an idea but I'm not sure.
please help me smiley - winkeye


Aldi

Post 4

Floh Fortuneswell

Just visit http://www.aldibaran.de and enjoy it smiley - winkeye

Greetings from Munich
An ALDI-Fan


Aldi

Post 5

sklo

in Austria you'll also be abled to find Aldi-Markets (almost the same articles, advertising, logo, ect.), but they are called "Hofer".


Aldi

Post 6

ttphone

Well, well, what is aldibaran?
It´s a play with words. Since the article you were talking about was about the German Aldi sales chain, "ALDI".
The other word in it is Aldebaran, which is a Star in a night sky next to you. This is where the "BARAN" is from.
So, both words togehter form "ALDIBARAN". You see?
But why a star...? Well, basically we´re all hitch hikers making our way through the galaxy, aren´t we? smiley - smiley


Aldi

Post 7

rincewind

As far as I know you find it in France, GB, somewhere in Scandinavia and in the USA ( really!!!)


Aldi

Post 8

whizjazzky

We got two districts of ALDI in Germany: ALDI north and south. They have a little different assortment. You can see it because they have different styled plastic bags (the first is just blue and white and the other one is with a little red, orange and blue). I don't know what district has got the better ware but I've heard about shopping tours to ALDI north shops. (example: ALDI north got the better Rioja) The borderline between both selling districts must be somewhere north of cologne.
People like buying ALDI stuff not only because it's cheap. The quality of the goods is mostly excellent. And last but not least ALDI sells more computers to high-tech-diasporan germans than many other specialized stores together!


Aldi

Post 9

Researcher 128568

There are Aldi shops in Ireland. Opening in Dublin a few months ago, it attracted huge crowds, and had problems convincing people, that they actually have to pay for their plastic bags. Aldi bags are however a big success with less well-off people, as the quality of the average Irish plastic bag allows no more than five items per bag.
Aldi is currently searching for sites for new outlets all over Ireland.


Aldi

Post 10

Gameli

Even though British Aldis are cheap, they charge in Sterling there what they charge in marks in Germany. That works out at things costing three times as much. Which just goes to show how ridiculously expensive most British shops are if they're still undercutting everyone else.


Aldi

Post 11

Arwen

Have you ever tried Piri-piri? Tastes like lemonade but makes you pretty drunk. It´s gorgeous(believe me, I tried it several times)!


ALDI is great, but...

Post 12

Skinny McGee

My heart belongs to ALDI, but watch out for Penny-Markt!!!! Prices are rock-bottom, and you get what you pay for. A horrid Place.


ALDI is great, but...

Post 13

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

penny sucks, and so does lidl! i was dependent on a lidl for a year when i lived in south germany and geez, i wouldn't wish it on a dog.. *lol* the border between aldi north and aldi south is actually between the cities of siegen and freudenberg, which are both sort of stuck in the middle of a triangle between cologne and frankfurt - i go to uni insiegen and i just found it out three weeks ago.. *lol* aldi also exists in the netherlands and belgium, and the beer selection they have in belgium just rocks!

smiley - smiley

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker


ALDI is great, but...

Post 14

Voodoo-Chile

What´s wrong with Lidl?
I haven´t ever had a problem with it!!


ALDI is great, but...

Post 15

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

did you ever try their prepacked fried chicken? i'm not a fussy eater, but.. *BLEURGH* this kind of thing just wouldn't available in aldi, cos it's just too bad to be sold....


ALDI is great, but...

Post 16

Gameli

Actually both Aldi and Lidl are awful places, although Lidl's worse, the shops look like some sort of post-apocolyptic disaster, they're cleaned that rarely. And the food's not great either, but then again that's why you get it so cheap. As somebody currently living off Lidl food because of temporary lack of cash, I can't wait to go back to Real,- or Plus (more up-market German supermarkets but still nowhere near British standards).


ALDI is great, but...

Post 17

Doive123

I went to a LIDL in the UK and it was quite nice. There were lots of German sweets and biscuits which I am going to try. What other products should we Brits try?


ALDI is great, but...

Post 18

Floh Fortuneswell

In Germany they have their own version of Kellogg's products. They're about 50% cheaper than the original and I can't notice a difference in taste.


And btw...

Post 19

Floh Fortuneswell

Welcome to H2G2 smiley - smileysmiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post