El Mundo Del Deporte

1 Conversation

A hand,<br/>
clenched into a fist, waving a red scarf in the crowd at a sporting<br/>
event.


This week, more less-than-glorious failure for the England football team and the sad loss of a Rugby League legend

England Fail (again!!!)

So the England qualifying campaign for Euro 2008 has ended in not-so-glorious failure. While Scotland were extremely unfortunate not to qualify from a group that contained the two finalists from the 2006 World Cup, France and Italy, and Northern Ireland's hopes were only dashed at the last, England spectacularly failed to qualify from a group in which they had been top seeds and from which two teams qualified. A final game defeat to Croatia sent Russia through to join the Croatians at the UEFA summer party in Austria and Switzerland next year. The next day saw Steve McClaren relieved of his duties as England manager (and about time too!!). McClaren should never have been appointed by the FA, but after they were rejected by Luis Felipe Scolari, they turned to Sven's right hand man and claimed, foolishly, that he was the first choice for the job. They got it horribly wrong and they have paid the price, but let's just hope that they learn from last time and get it right this time around. Let's have a look at some of the contenders for the England job.

Jose Mourinho

The 'Special One' is a proven winner. He won 5 trophies during his time as Chelsea boss, and before that won domestic and European titles with FC Porto in his native Portugal. Currently out of work after falling out with Roman Abramovich, the FA will not get him cheaply. Certainly not the 'Yes' man the FA normally appoint, but will get plenty of 'yes' from supporters if he is appointed.

Martin O'Neill

The Aston Villa manager is another proven winner. He won medals a-plenty during his time at Celtic, and before that he even managed to win a trophy for unfashionable Leicester City. One problem to his appointment will be that he was interviewed by the FA for the job last time, but was not offered the role. This may well have upset him enough that he would not be as open to an approach this time around.

Fabio Capello

The Italian is a top quality manager who has won trophies in major countries across Europe. He has expressed an interest in the position and would be a good choice for the job. His main problem would be, that, by his own admission, he is not fluent in English, and this could be a problem during training sessions and matches.

Jürgen Klinsmann

The former Spurs striker has a proven record as an international manager, having led his native Germany to 3rd place in the 2006 World Cup. The main problem he may encounter is the fact that he is German and this may not go down well with some England fans. An outsider for the job, but has the credentials to do it and do it well.

Alan Shearer

Former England captain Shearer has no coaching experience, but neither did Klinsmann before Germany appointed him, or Marco van Basten before he was given the Dutch job. The fact that he walked away from playing for England while they still needed him may count against him with some fans, but he would certainly bring back the passion that has been lacking under McClaren. An England manager of the future, this chance may be too soon for him.

My verdict

The FA should come up with the cash and appoint the 'Special One'. Mourinho would be good for the England team and they should pull out all the stops to get him, but in the event that they can't, then they should go for Shearer.

Rugby League loses a legend

Mike Gregory, the last man to lead the Great Britain Rugby League team to two series' successes, passed away last week at the age of 43. The former Warrington forward was known for his courage on the field, and in recent years he showed that courage off the field as well, as he fought against progressive muscular atrophy, a form of motor neurone disease.

Wasps' rugby union coach Shaun Edwards, who went to school with Gregory in Wigan and also played alongside him for Great Britain said that

On the pitch Gregory was a warrior and off it he was always full of life and fun. It was heartbreaking to see him suffer recently and to see him pass away now.

Gregory, a super fit athlete before the days of full-time professionalism, spent 12 seasons with Warrington and was their captain on their last Wembley appearance in 1990. Current Warrington coach Paul Cullen said

It's a very sad day for us all at Warrington. I have lost a true friend and my thoughts and those of everyone else at the club are with his family at this time.

Although he never played for Wigan, he achieved a lifetime ambition when he was appointed coach of his hometown club in 2003. He steered the club to an 11-match unbeaten run and under him they became the first club from outside the top two in the regular season to reach the Super League Grand Final.

His life changed dramatically after developing an infection caused by an insect bite in Australia in 2003, with the debilitating illness affecting his nerves and muscles and confining him to a wheelchair for the last 12 months of his life. He still managed to lead Wigan to the 2004 Challenge Cup final against St Helens, his last match in charge, before going to the United States to receive specialist treatment.

When Wigan then appointed Ian Millward as coach, Gregory took the club to court, claiming they should have done more to help him. The case was settled out of court with Wigan agreeing to pay him £17,500.

Gregory began his coaching career as assistant of Shaun McRae at St Helens before becoming Swinton coach from 1998-2001. He also coached Wales in the 1995 World Cup, England Academy in 2002 and Scotland in the 2003 Euro Nations Cup.

He leaves behind his wife Erica and sons Ben and Sam.

El Mundo Del Deporte
Archive

Alfredo Marquez

29.11.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A29562122

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more