Scotland, Pennsylvania, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Scotland, Pennsylvania, USA

3 Conversations

Scotland is a quaint little village situated in south-central Pennsylvania, USA - please do not confuse it with the quaint little country of Scotland, situated in the northern area of Great Britain.

Surrounded by soothing farmland, Scotland offers rest and recreation to the weary traveller.

A Trip Through The Village

The village features one gas-tank-less gas station, one old post office, a small garage for repairing vehicles, a medium-sized park with three excellent baseball fields, a rambling stream and many houses of assorted ages in various states of repair. Also within the village of Scotland is an abandoned Rutter's1. Nearby you will find a Laundromat, a pizza shop, and a mysterious empty-looking shop that, on closer examination, can be found to sell flies for fishing and insurance for automobiles at alternating times of the year.

Across and down the street from the old Rutter's is an equally ancient elementary school, named Scotland Elementary. There is also an old brick community centre which nestles beside the school. Weekly bingo games and boy-scout meetings are held within the community centre. The annual elementary school science fair is also held here.

Further down the street is the stream that, depending on rainfall, varies in depth between two inches and three feet. Beyond the stream is a man-made pond, often covered in bright green lily pads. Alas, there are no fish or frogs to add to the ambience of this delightful little water feature.

Moving right along, about five miles away, you will come to an old railroad bridge. There you will find larger yards and farmland. The people in these parts like to think they are living in Scotland but in reality we are now in Chambersburg.

Once you have made your way over the bridge, which crosses Route 81, you will come to the Chambersburg Mall. Near it are two relatively new structures - a hotel and a McDonald's.

Accommodation

  • The Chambersburg four-star hotel has an indoor swimming pool, excellent food, and keycard-locked doors.

  • During the warmer months it may be possible to sleep out by the pond, if you do not mind an abundance of duck droppings and hard ground. A more advisable place to camp out would be in the park, which has nicely-mown lawns and pavilions, as well as handy barbecues.

  • The residents of Scotland are friendly and charitable and have been known to put people up in their homes if they are really stuck.

Food

  • There is a McDonald's near the mall. This provides the usual McDonald's food at the normal price.

  • Within the mall are several restaurants: Bonanza, Fries etc, Bavarian Pretzels, Auntie Anne's Pretzels, China Bamboo, Arby's, and several soda and snack machines.

  • If you have brought along your own food, it should be possible to cook some hot meals at the grills provided at the park.

Entertainment

  • There is a movie theatre at the mall, which has Sunday matinĂ©e discounts. There is also a bookstore, an arcade, a comic store, several music stores, and a sporting-goods store.

  • The park is free to enter and has monkey-bars and swings to play on. It also has pavilions, a creek for fishing, and plenty of open space.

1Rutter's is a set of companies including a dairy and a chain of restaurants.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A295508

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more