A Conversation for The Baobab Tree

Baobab Trivia

Post 1

Trout Montague

I have unearthed the following facts and figures on baobabs for your entry, if you ever see fit to update it.

A certain Graham Guy has determined a method of determining the age of baobabs, despite their fibrous constituency. It seems that baobab trees do have discernible rings and tests on younger specimens has shown an accuracy of 2%.

Reputedly the world's largest specimen is in the north-eastern Transvaal region (Mpumulanga?) of South Africa. It has a recorded girth of 33.4m when measured at breast height.

One tree at the point where Namibian Caprivi, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe all meet has been declared a national monument by the government of Botswana. It has been camped under by Selous and Livingstone and its Sisubiya name, 'Mzungula' has begat the name of the town there - Kazungula.

You may wish to acknowledge Mike Main's Zambezi - Journey of a River

Regards,

Dr Montague Trout

PS I have referred to your page in my entry http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A810587


Baobab Trivia

Post 2

St. tar-palantir (patron saint of left-handers)

is any of this information suposed to be interesting?


Removed

Post 3

Trout Montague

This post has been removed.


Baobab Trivia

Post 4

St. tar-palantir (patron saint of left-handers)

no


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more