A Conversation for The History of Insomnia

Valerian Root

Post 1

Ygg

When I saw a neuroligist for stubburn and painfull headaches, insomnia came up. She suggested, instead of perscribing me addictive and calming drugs like I had hoped for, Valerian root.
It's an herb sold by any place that would also sell green tea, or curry leaves. Valerian is sold in different forms, pills, extract, powder, or together with other calming herbs in even more calming mixes.
The extract tastes a little sour, sort of like dried grass pressed into a bottle, but after a while you get quite fond of it. However if it has any relaxing qualities I have yet to notice them.

I have an unfurtunate habit of at around midnight become very awake and restless. It doesn't matter if I slept 3 hours the previous night. I walk around in the apartment and think about old things that is better left behind. Or I just walk around hoping that inspiration will grab me and I'll write a book that will be published and make me famous and rich, or at least respected.

But that usually doesn't happen.

I read books instead. Which supposedly is good for you, but sometimes I wonder.

Mostly I spend the time daydreaming. Which I have heard also is good for you, but the effect is that during daytime, when I am suppose to work I am too tired and distracted to do anything other tha continue the daydream.
I suppose bottom line is that if someone knows a good and foolproof way of falling asleep, please let me know. I need it.
I suppose I am open for illegal transactions with drugs too. =P

Oh well, time to return to my bed, which is very comfortable for sure, but is not my friend.


Valerian Root

Post 2

Elico

Have you tried melatonin? This is a natural substance produced by the brain which induces sleep. I use melatonin tablets when I am changing time zones. It ensures a good night's sleep and I wake up refreshed and able to cope with a different sleep pattern. I don't know where you live, but if you are in the States, GNC sell it - unfortunately, if you are in the UK it is quite difficult to get hold of.


Valerian Root

Post 3

Ygg

Thabk you. I'll try that.


Valerian Root

Post 4

Elico

I have just visited your page and I can see that you are very beautiful, but also very sad. Please do this one thing for me. When you get up in the morning look in the mirror and take a deep breath, then smile at your beautiful face and say, 'Today is going to be a good day.' Then greet everyone with a smile. Try it! What have you got to lose?

elico


Valerian Root

Post 5

DEATH

My God, girl, you look FANTASTIC!
Anyway, I was asking: Have you ever read "Oh My Goddess!"?
And I like trek, too. smiley - tongueout

Girl, If I were you, I'd try caffiene. It is the cure for all mankinds problems.
That about, I'm serious.
It works. Or chocolate; It releases a lot of good hormones and neurone effects from the brain.
Maybe herbal tea.
A bath also helps people.


Valerian Root

Post 6

Ygg

I have a personality too. =)

I find baths boring. I know as a girl I'm suppose to love to soak for hours, but I just can't stand being in such a small area for such a long time.
Caffeine, well, I doubt I'd survive with out it, and I don't think I wanna try. And chocolate, I do love it, but It needs to be Marabou, and they don't sell that here in the US...there is a website though, somewhere, which sells Marabou chocolate for $20 a bar (100 grams) or something insane like that.

I went to GNC and bought Melatonin though. I am not sure it works, I need to test it more. I had trouble sleeping yesterday despite 3 mg of Melatonin but that might be because I took a nap right as I came home from work.


Valerian Root

Post 7

Elico

It is important to take melatonin just before lying your head on the pillow to go to sleep. If you decide to read or listen to music or engage in any other activity after taking it, it lessens its efficacy.

elico


Valerian Root

Post 8

DEATH

I never said you have no personality. Is that what you think I am? a lecher who only thinks of women for their bodies? How cruel.
I admit lechery, but only so I can find true love. The way I see it, the more girls I have date, the more likely one is to be my match. I said you looked fantastic because that does catch the eye just a /little/


Valerian Root

Post 9

Ygg

No, I read your description of yourself. =P In which you pointed out you prefer interesting personalities to beauty...or something to that effect.
Hmm.
Yeah, I know, my sense of humour doesn't always come across seeming sensitive or even funny. Sorry, still working on that interacting skill.


Valerian Root

Post 10

DEATH

Don't worry Ygg... In fact, why don't you help me choose my new name? Mightily Oats? Ridcully? The Dean? Volrath the Fallen? Alundra: The Releaser? Fowler the Damned? Greven Il-Vec? Kitsune Diro? Any suggestions? Casting a vote for a name? You can do so here: http://www.h2g2.com/F29855?thread=66487 Anyone in this forum, not just Ygg, is especially invited!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more