A Conversation for The Man in the Iron Mask

the 1998 movie

Post 1

canadian girl(resigned)

actually, the movie the man in the iron mask was quite good. of course, leonardo dicaprio greatly tarnished the movie ( sorry, Titanic fallout)but the storyline was quite interesting. what about what everyone else thinks? smiley - winkeye


the 1998 movie

Post 2

Princess Bride

Well, I hate to tell you this, but I really didn't like the movie at all. In my opinion it was just to boost Leonardo di Caprio's career. I made out all through it, and I dont usually do that. but you're entitled to your own opinion...


the 1998 movie

Post 3

Bluebottle

I much prefered the 1976 TV version with Richard Chamberlain, yet the 1998 movie was saved from being a complet Leo disaster on the Titanic scale by having an Oscar-winning Isle of Wight actor starring along side.
I mean, of course, Jeremy Irons.


the 1998 movie

Post 4

Princess Bride

I didn't really notice that part as I was not paying that much attention after I decided it wasn't good...


the 1998 movie

Post 5

Cheerful Dragon

IMHO, there has never been a really good adaptation of the book, because there can't be. I've read the book and it just wouldn't work on screen the way it was written. Most adaptations pick up on some bits and leave out others, notably the fact that the prisoner in the iron mask did NOT successfully replace his brother on the throne.

Where the 1998 film was better than some others was:

1. The age of the king was right.
2. The relationships between the original musketeers were right.
3. Aramis as the secret leader of the Jesuits.
4. The relationship between Raoul (Athos's son) and the girl the King fell in love with, although the film changed her name and made her a reluctant, rather than willing, lover.
5. The timescale of the swap - days to prepare, rather than weeks or months.

Having said that, D'Artagnan looked far too old (he should have been at least a few years younger than the other musketeers), and far
too close to the Queen in age.


the 1998 movie

Post 6

Penguin Girl - returned at last

I thought it was a decent movie. i waited to see it until Titanic had sunk from the public view. I don't think that Leonardo DiCaprio can act very well, but at least he wasn't in every scene. IMHO, he wasn't really the star of the film. It was a fun story, reguardless of truth to the original...but how true can you be to a story that no one's sure of?


the 1998 movie

Post 7

Princess Bride

Very true. The actual story as presented in the article was much more interesting to me.


the 1998 movie

Post 8

Bluebottle

I always hoped there'd be a version starring Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain etc, as a continuation from the "Three Musketeers", "Four Musketeers", "Return of the Musketeers" series - it would have helped with the continuation of the plot tremendously. smiley - sadface


the 1998 movie

Post 9

Cheerful Dragon

Unfortunately, with the demise of Oliver Reed last year (or the year before), this idea is a non-starter. Who could possibly replace him?

In general, though, I agree with you. The film would be more light-hearted than most versions. Who would you have playing King Louis / Philippe, though? He'd have to be in his mid-twenties at the most.

As for it being hard to get a decent film when nobody's sure of the facts, the film is based on the book which owes little to the facts. The prisoner didn't even wear an iron mask. The frame may have been of iron, or something similarly sturdy, but the mask itself had to be light enough for daily wear over a long period. Iron most certainly isn't. And there's no evidence that the mask was locked on to the prisoner's head.

I saw a programme some years back that worked out who the prisoner was likely to have been. A member of royalty was considered unlikely as the records show that the prisoner acted as valet to a member of the nobility whose own valet had died - not something a nobleman would do. Unfortunately I can't remember who they reckoned the prisoner was, but they based their reasoning on the fact that the prisoner moved from prison to prison with one particular governor, to minimise the number of people who knew of the prisoner's existence. And the prisoner was not, according to the programme, listed as 'Prisoner number 6xyxabcd' or whatever, but listed by name, which may have been fake.


the 1998 movie

Post 10

Penguin Girl - returned at last

It'd be interesting to find out the facts of the story - but that's impossible. Everything has plot holes. Iron would be heavy for everyday wear though.


the 1998 movie

Post 11

Princess Bride

We could use my time machine and go see! Anyone up for a trip? smiley - winkeye


the 1998 movie

Post 12

Penguin Girl - returned at last

*grabs backpack and gummybears*
I'm ready!


the 1998 movie

Post 13

Princess Bride

Well let's go then!
--Puts on medevial dress and lets down her hair--


the 1998 movie

Post 14

Bluebottle

Don't go yet - wait for me!


the 1998 movie

Post 15

Princess Bride

Oh, all right, but hurry up... I have a final in 30 minutes...


the 1998 movie

Post 16

Bluebottle

Rightio. smiley - smiley
Shall we go in a different thread, though?


the 1998 movie

Post 17

Cheerful Dragon

Wait! You'll have to change. Medieval dress won't do. You need late 17th century clothes. Fortunately I have some here, reasonably priced, not worn since the Great Plague of 1665, but who's worried?


the 1998 movie

Post 18

Princess Bride

Oh good. I wasn't sure if what I had was any good. Thanks for straightening me out, Dragon. Sure, let's start a new thread. You decide, Bluebottle...


the 1998 movie

Post 19

Penguin Girl - returned at last

Could I get some of those clothes dragon? and please tell me about the new thread. *eats a gummy bear*


the 1998 movie

Post 20

Princess Bride

I'll start it. I'll call it "Who was the man in the iron mask? A trip to find out."


Key: Complain about this post