A Conversation for Accra, Ghana

Kumasi

Post 1

Paul K

Kumasi is Ghana's second city (Ashanti people might suggest its first). There's a good bus service from Accra, but this is a place to stay in rather than a day trip. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that day trips are a great idea in Ghana- most places to stay are cheap for Westerners, and even cheaper outside Accra; and in a hot country it's good not to hurry.
Kumasi is a great centre in itself. Visit the Cultural Centre (less hassly than the one in Accra), the market (is it the biggest in Africa?- it's enormous, and sells everything from odd bits of animals to a made-to-measure dress (ready tomorrow, another reason to stay)), the Asantehene's Palace (palace of the King of Ashanti, interesting mixture of cultures), and the Kumasi Fort (where a few years back someone opened a locked door and found a stash of chief's regalia confiscated in around 1900 by the British after they had been shut up in the fort by a rebellion lead by a woman).


Kumasi

Post 2

Jim

Have you been to Takoradi/Sekondi? It is much more laid back than Accra and the pedestrian traffic lights work!!! There is a good night life and the last time I was there they had a Trade Fair displaying all the artisan goods that Ghana has to offer, as well as furniture, elaborate Polytank stands and artwork which would make you want to reach into your wallet.... We bought a hell of a lot for our house in Accra!!!!
Spread the word about Ghana.... did you go to see the Ghana Armed Forces Museum in Kumasi? I've heard it's good but haven't been there yet...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more