A Conversation for 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller

I seem to remember more

Post 1

The Madcap Laughs

I read Catch 22 and it's sequel (never mentioned) Closing Time and got so much more out of the books... honesty i don't feel that this entry does it justice


I seem to remember more

Post 2

Anterh

I tend to agree. This entry is quite dissapointing, it only deals with one aspect of the Catch-22 instead of the concept as a whole.


I seem to remember more

Post 3

Duma

I suspect that the researcher was trying to define the meaning of the phrase "catch-22" rather than to resaearch the novel. This doesn't really make sense considering the entry title mentions Heller by name...


I seem to remember more

Post 4

Jools

This is just one of the definitions of catch-22 given in the book; another I can remember is that... erm... *references own copy* the U.S. Army can do anything in Italy that the Italians can't stop them from doing, and that though his group says he can be sent home after forty missions, he can't go because his colonel says he has to fly fifty-five; even though that's against group orders, and he can't disobey them because group hq would come down on him like a ton of bricks for disobeying orders. Oh, and Catch-22 states that no-one has to tell you what it is. I'd really like an expanded entry that went into it in more detail, then people might learn what the phrase actually means and use it properly (sorry; pet hate there).


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more