A Conversation for 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller

Other Joseph Heller books

Post 1

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

I agree with some of the previous posters that this entry should be longer.
Having read some other of Heller's books I must also say that most of them are worth reading, in particular the incredibly funny "God Knows", in which biblical King David tells his life story, exposes Salomon for a fraud, complains about not having his own book in the bible, complains about Michelangelo's statue of him and explains why he's not appologising to god if god doesn't appologise first.


Other Joseph Heller books

Post 2

magrat

I agree. Funny book. Especially where he describes the business with Goliath. smiley - laugh


Other Joseph Heller books

Post 3

maduin

Hey, and Something Happened was really good. Maybe better even...


Other Joseph Heller books

Post 4

Gavroche

There is a passage in God Knows where David is recalling King Saul's challenge to circumcize 100 Phillistines, and refers to the cache he brings back as "a pound of flesh, give or take". An obvious reference to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, but alas, I read God Knows first. So when I did read Merchant of Venice in college, I raised my hand, and said it was a Biblical reference. Provoked much laughter.

Another Heller book, though quite different, I strongly recommend is No Laughing Matter. It is an autobiographical memoir of Heller's battle with a disease called Guillain Barre Syndrome.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more