A Conversation for A Brief History of Western Music

Big Bangs

Post 1

DickieP

A brilliant article.
Those of us in the UK were lucky enough to have a TV series screened recently called Howard Goodall's Big Bangs. We were treated to a more in depth look at the music in some of the periods mentioned here.
My only criticism of the article is the brushing off of non-religious music. Just because it wasn't recorded, doesn't mean that it wasn't important (and I realise that's not what the article is overtly saying). However, the "underground", uncultured music that previous and modern popular musicians are making has almost as distinguished a past, we just don't have the written scores to show it.
On a different track, I'm not criticising (I've not got a dictionary with me for a start), but I've never seen the word "headquarter" used as a verb. It may be correct, but it sits oddly on the mind.


Big Bangs

Post 2

Phil

Underground music has always been a part of any music scene. There are lots of musicians who have taken elements from this and used it in their own work, from the using of traditional country and folk song melodies in classical work to some of todays cutting edge music.


Big Bangs

Post 3

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

I wish Mr.Tuba came back - such a shame he left. Both those articles were really great. It was a pleasure to edit that one smiley - smiley.


Big Bangs

Post 4

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I too enjoyed Big Bangs, partly because it had Stephen Darlington in it, whom I know of old, but mostly because Howard Goodall is absolutely one of a kind. His Organ Works was also fabulous.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more