A Conversation for Captain James Cook - Explorer

Very interesting reading

Post 1

Gagmewithaspoon

I always knew that he had discovered (well almost) Australia but I didn't know or had forgotten his other exploits.

Very interesting indeed, thanks very much..


Very interesting reading

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

I agree. An excellent yarn.

But wait - there's more smiley - bigeyes

After a gruelling voyage on HMS King George, John Nicol landed in Hawaii and came face to face with the man who had killed Captain Cook.

The ailing chief kept sniffing at an empty bottle of smelling salts which the sailors refilled for him. The year was 1785 and Nicol was among the crew of the first ship to land on the island of Owhyee since the murder of the great explorer six years earlier.

Nicol recalled later that, although the natives still had the bayonets they had stolen from Cook's men, they welcomed the newcomers so warmly that they never felt in danger.

Indeed, the Hawaiians recognised the ship's captain, Portlock, who had been with Cook - on that fateful last voyage, and showered him with gifts.

A cooper by trade, Edinburgh-born Nicol was soon turning the rusty iron hoops from his barrels into sharp hooks which were sold to the islanders for a huge profit. With wry humour, he recounts how "the King of Owhyee looked to my occupation with a wistful eye; he thought me the happiest man on board to he among such vast heaps of treasure".


Very interesting reading

Post 3

Gagmewithaspoon

Love it...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more