A Conversation for Nursery Rhymes

3 Blind jellyfish

Post 1

BuskingBob

A favourite of my grand-daughter:

3 blind jellyfishes
3 blind jellyfishes
3 blind jellyfishes
sitting on a rock.
One fell off.

Boooooooo

2 blind jellyfishes
2 blind jellyfishes
2 blind jellyfishes
Sitting on a rock.
One got back on

Hoorayyyyyyyy!

3 Blind.......................





3 Blind jellyfish

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

I know this is a long time after the event (you posted 11 weeks ago) but...

Hello ! I never, ever, thought I'd "meet" someone else who knows 3 blind jellyfish. Even though we sing it ever so slightly diffrently (we go down to no jellyfish then one jumps up back to 3 and so on and so on) We used to sing it in the car as kids and drive my mum (my Dad was the ringleader) mad. Now I'm teaching it to my kids and my old man insists my dad made it up. Unless, that is, you're my dad hiding behind a nom de plume......


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 3

BuskingBob

We used to go down to zero as well. I also did it in a pub one night - once we were up to large numbers sat on the rock I passed it over to someone else. He was delighted until he realized there wasn't an ending for the song!

My children were raised with this sort of stuff, and they are passing it on to their own children, along with other bizarre things they have picked up from me; my grandaughter is probably the only 3 year old in the world who salutes magpies!


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Look: are you SURE you're not my Dad?? smiley - winkeye My 3 yr old daughter says good morning Mr. Magpie. And Hello Trees. And Hello Shoes (but I'm trying to get her to add "sorry, I'm going to stand on you again")
I like the idea of singing 3 blind Jellyfish in a pub. I live in Germany, so when I've made a passable translation.......


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 5

BuskingBob

Lets hear it one more time for the magpies - GOOD MORNING MAGPIES!

I'm reasonably sure I'm not your father - although it's a bit spooky; I always thought magpie greeters were an endangered species, now I'm not too sure!

Good to hear that I'm not the only one bringing his offspring up properly!


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

The big question being, of course: why do we do it? (I once heard it's to avoid bad luck, but then I thought one magpie was supposed to be lucky. ho hum)
Actually, the jellyfish is my Dad's thing. The rest of it is from my Mum. He hates it. (You'll appreciate this, being the naval type, he has just retired from the Army after about 6 million years) He wants us all to be normal. Ha. fat chance.
I don't suppose you have making-your-polo-last-the-longest competitions in the car do you?


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

I was thinking of you during the Olympic opening ceremony. Did you see it? All the next day my 3 yr old told anyone who would care to listen that the night before she had seen 3 blind jellyfish!


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 8

strangeclaire

please can you tell me how your version of the rhyme end
its really smiley - wah me as i remeber i used to sing it as a little girl but cnt remember the ending
smiley - biggrinsmiley - smileysmiley - biggrin


3 Blind jellyfish

Post 9

debbie_w

i know it's a loooong time ago the whole jellyfish ... was
but today, searching for the history of rhymes, i saw that others also had those terrible keep-your-polo-the-longest-contests!
well, mum always won. of course
and we didn't get another until hers was gone.
smiley - wah


Key: Complain about this post