A Conversation for Diskless Workstations, Network Computers and ASPs

ASPs dead by 2002?

Post 1

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Unlikely. The market is growing all the time, as people use the ASP model to outsource support of the buggy and bloated software which Microsoft tries to force on them.


ASPs dead by 2002?

Post 2

vork the cat

I don't believe the idea will be dead either... the main difference is how i have my home network with Linux, Windows and Macintosh OSX all on the same network, important applications are stored on individual computers, but all data is stored twice, once on the local machine and second on the file server, likewise with less commonly used programs being stored centrally so that only one copy needs to be purchased (like microsoft's visual suite) and printers are located as peripherials on the network itself so that there is access from any workstation...
most offices are similarly laid out and this is a very efficient network design.
Thus, neither the diskless workstation nor the simple network is the best idea for a LAN, and neither type is likely to soon fall by the wayside, as the different architectures all have inherent benefits.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Diskless Workstations, Network Computers and ASPs

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more