A Conversation for Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Sub Cultures

Post 1

Guru Bear

It is easy to miss things in Aylesbury as a galactic hitch-hiker. In some cases that is a bonus. For instance, Ayelsbury had for a time one of the greatest small town drug problems in the country - a fact that is as embarrassing as is the way the town council tried to cover it up rather than help solve it.

On the other hand, the town also boasts a vibrant Sicilian community who brew their own throat wrenching wines - now that is worth investigating!


Guru Bear


Sub Cultures

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I was horrified to find out what a low oppinion the world seems to have of Aylesbury. During the election I looked on the bbc website to see what the result was only to read a really quite horrifying description of the place.

I grew up there and admit that it was boring, boring, boring (probably accounting for the drug problem) but it wasn't quite the nightmare it is painted as! I also admit I have moved away and couldn't be persuaded to move back but things are definitely looking up.

Does anyone remember Alcatraz, the (doomed) alcohol-free pub?

What is that about a war of words with Buckingham? I heard nothing of this in 20 years of living there!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more