A Conversation for KVRX - College Radio for Austin, Texas

Student's opinion

Post 1

JeffTHardy

As a UT student I have been exposed to KVRX and to be honest I haven't been impressed with them in the past. I think that a station like this is a good idea, but the few times I've listened to this station it has had some pretty odd songs playing. Occasionally I heard some songs that were really cool, but I have never felt there was any focus from the station. I imagine that might be the idea. It just discourages me when I decide to listen to KVRX and some music that isn’t popular for a very good reason is playing.

Two years ago a friend of mine was asked to bring his tables down to the station and DJ (with records / trance) and I got to see the station first hand. I definitely believe what kalu is saying about popular music because I had a hard time finding music I had heard in there. But, its a step in the right direction no doubt.

For a while we had an electronic music station in Austin 93.3/99.7, and it was cool because we finally got to hear some good music that no other stations played. Soon I think the station decided it wasn't earning enough cash off electronic music and moved to hip-hop and electronic. It changed its name to Mega93.3 and then quickly changed again to Hot93.3 and now only plays hip-hop. Sad changes… This leads me to say that KVRX is probably the only good station in Austin to listen to and avoid the pop trash on all the other stations, but if you aren't open to EVERY genre of music; KVRX might not always please you.


Student's opinion

Post 2

JeffTHardy

One thing I forgot to add was that Austin has their own music TV channel, the Austin Music Network. It is really nice. If you are in austin you should check it out. http://www.austinmusicnetwork.org/ Lots of local and "non-popular" music that doesnt suck. It looks like you can watch a streaming version from the link above, check it out.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more