A Conversation for Sweet Tea

No Subject

Post 1

AgProv2

In the otherwise cheesey song "Summer - the first time" by Bobby Goldsboro, the sophisticated older woman who is on a mission to relieve the seventeen-year old Goldsboro of his virginity is portrayed as a Southern Belle in her thirties who is sipping on a Julep, as she outlines what the coming night will hold vis-a-vis jollies.

(This song came out at just the right time to **** up a whole generation of rising sixteen year old males, including me, who got carried away with the romance of it all and failed to realise that the attentions of an experienced thirty-something woman are not mandatory on one's seventeenth birthday. I mean, if it were there'd be a Government agency sorting it all out and no doubt giving somebody like me the equivalent of NHS glasses - a thirtysomething Norah Batty or Bella Emberg. With middle-class families, who could afford to go private, buying better for their sons... but I digress)

In fact, the scenario of a sophisticated thirtysomething woman sexually initiating a seventeen year old boy must logically have happened once or twice in the history of the world, but based on our experience*, so rare as for its resolute non-manifestation in our lives not to be worth agonising over. (Hmm, wonder if this is worth a Guide entry....)

Anyway, Goldsboro in the song has his heroine sipping on an iced mint julep, which leads me to ask: is this the same thing as, or related to, Soutrhern sweet tea?




*ie, that of me and blokes like me....


mint julep

Post 2

Emee, out from under the rock

No - a julep is similar to a mojito but uses bourbon instead of rum. Sweet tea is a 'soft' drink and involves no alcohol.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more