A Conversation for Lampposts

Don't forget George!

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

In the chronicles of lamppost glory, special mention must be made of George Formby.

This Lancashire-born singer/comedian/film star of the 1930s & 40s came to prominence with his little ukelele in his hand, and often used to have a litle twang on it in his movies. Probably his most famous song (apart possibly from one in praise of his tiny instrument) announced that he was "leaning on a lamppost on the corner of the stret in case a certain little lady walks by".

Oh me.
Oh my.


Don't forget George!

Post 2

Bluebottle

I hadn't realised that, sorry.
I must confess that George Formby is not a performer I know much of. It is true I know what he looks like, what he sings like, how he plays his ukelele etc - was it him who cleaned winders? - but I didn't know the Lamppost song.

I'm sorry!

<BB<


Don't forget George!

Post 3

Arwen

This song "Leaning on a Lamppost" is in a musical called 'Me and My Girl' about a cockney who learns he is the heir to a fortune and his fight to keep his girl as he goes up in the world ("I don't know if she'll get away, she doesn't always get away, but anyway I know that she'll try")

However, I'm not sure which came first, the song or the musical.

I'm leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the street...

Arwen


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more