A Conversation for 'Blackadder' - the TV Series

Which is best?

Post 21

jasegroom

Consider it done. I will actually do the job properly in the near future, but I've been kinda busy these last few weeks. Not too busy to parade my Blackadder anorak status on this page, of course, but too busy to do a proper homepage.


Which is best?

Post 22

Researcher 99947

Yay!!!


Which is best?

Post 23

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Well, Dinsdale, I'm groping for the memory and it simply isn't there.....and I've seen all the series many times.....uniess this was an episode that I'm simply not recognising when you talk about it....or the local PBS station didn't air it, or something.

Let's make sure I'm on track here: Series three is Blackadder as the butler to Prince George. The closest thing to a pair of Frenchies that I recall are the two pompous actors who condescend to Blackadder so he has them packed off for killing.

This must be an unaired episode; being stuck in the Colonies, I can only see these shows either when they're released on video or when PBS in Seattle airs them (I'm in Vancouver), so there may well've been a missing episode....especially since they managed to get the order of Series One back to front when I recorded them so my set's out of order anyway.

Fruitbat


Which is best?

Post 24

jasegroom

OK. Let's clear this one up. The episode in question is called Nob and Nobility. I think it was the fourth episode in Blackadder the Third, but it might have been the third episode. You're right about the two guys condescending Blackadder, but they're Englishmen (Lord Smedley and Lord Topper, played by Nigel Planer and Tim Mcinnery). They're friends of the Prince Regent, and the reason they're all speaking French is that the escapades of the Scarlet Pimpernel are the major talking point of London society. Blackadder gets annoyed by their jibes, claiming anyone could do what the Pimpernel does. They bet him that he couldn't go to France and rescue a nobleman from the revolutionaries, and present him at the French ambassador's party in a week's time. He accepts, but instead of going to France he hides out in the kitchen for the week, where the Prince will never find him. He then proceeds to Mrs Miggins Pie Shop, to "pick up any French toff".

He finds a Frenchman, apparently a nobleman down on his luck. He takes him to the French Embassy, only to discover it has been taken over by revolutionaries (we only see one of them, and this is Chris Barrie). He has apparently "murdered the ambassador and turned him into pate". He imprisons them, and intends to torture them with France's most vicious woman, Madame Guillotine (just arrived from Paris). Blackadder sneaks a poison pill into her drink, only for her to reveal herself as Smedley (Nigel Planer), who admits to being the Pimpernel, with the help of Topper. He then promptly dies, but Blackadder, Baldrick and the Nobleman escape, and go back to the Prince with a story of derring-do. The French nobleman then reveals himself as Topper (Tim Mcinnery), and is about to reveal all about Blackadder's deception, so Blackadder kills him with the last poison pill. He then claims to be the Pimpernel himself, and claims an enormous postal order from the Prince as a reward.

Do you recognise it yet?


Which is best?

Post 25

jasegroom

Oh, and I just realised which two guys you were talking about condescending Blackadder. The two actors were in a different episode, Sense and Senility. You're quite right about him packing them off for execution - he frames them as anarchists because they patronise him once too often.


Which is best?

Post 26

Dinsdale Piranha

The only thing for youto do is to get down to Blockbuster and hire yourself a copy. My son is watching it constantly at the moment in full-on Finbarr Saunders mode (fnaar, fnaar), so I was able to pluck the episode out of memory. I wouldn't have remembered Chris Barrie otherwise.


Which is best?

Post 27

Belgarath

Personally my favourite is Series 4, in the Trenchs....

Something I can recommend is the audio tapes of Blackadder. Stick it in you walkman and smile your way to work...

btw: Favourite Line...
Black adder clenches his fist raises his arm out in front of him then says.. Baldrick Run into my fist.. (Or words similar, I guess you gotta see it to appreciate it!)

http:/www.russellweb.co.uk


Which is best?

Post 28

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Then I've clearly not seen this episode, although I'm buggered if I can understand why not.....None of what you've said is in the least bit familiar, and I'm quite good at tracking actors across series, even when I'm not sure what their names are.

This is one more problem that I've got to sort (eventually): my Series One Blackadder were recorded as they were broadcast, out of order. Now I've got to find this missing episode....weird.

Fruitbat


Which is best?

Post 29

Lord Lopper

The "run into my fist" line comes from the cavalier years one-off episode from comic relief

"I'm a busy man Baldrick so here is my fist, kindly run into it as fast as you can."
which he does

LL


Which is best?

Post 30

Pelle

One of the best is Blackadder in "A Christmas Carol"-Special as Scrooge. Blackadder is a very nice person, who loves Christmas. Accidently the Spirit of Christmas appeares. The Spirit of Xmas showed the past, present and the future to Blackadder. In the future it was Baldrik, Leader of the universe and his servant Mr. B.. This changed Edmunds attitude towards Xmas. Mr. B. finaly becomes the mean Character we love. In Germany we had the opportunity to watch Blackadder in original language (but thank God with German subtitles) late at night (11:30 pm) on "arte", a TV-program for culture. In my country Mr. B. is more known as the Mr. Bean. This is the humor we deserve.
sincerely "I Have A Cunning Plan"-Pelle


Which is best?

Post 31

Researcher 147194

Series 2 is over rated.
Series 1 is under rated.
3 and 1 are the best ones in my humble, meaningless opinion, but the last episode of series 4 is one of my favourites, and the last scene deservedly made it into the top 100 television moments of all time.

PUB FACTS

1) There were plans for a series set in the sixties with a bald character called bald Rick in which Blackadder was to be in a punk rock group at one point.

2) Brian Blessed did not play the king in the pilot episode. John Savident did, and now he's Fred Elliot in *Coronation Street*.


Series Two, Of Course...

Post 32

Hairy Frog

From "Bells" when Lord Flashheart arrives:

Lord Flashheart enters in spectacular fashion.

Flashheart: It's me, Flash! Flash by name, Flash by nature. Hurrah!

Edmund: Where have you been?

F: Where haven't I been! ..Waugh!!!.. But I'm here now. Who is that?

E: I don't know, but he is in your place.

F: Not for long. Hold that.

Hands his sword to Baldrick, then throws Percy through the door.

F: Thanks bridesmaid, like the beard. Gives me something to hang on to.

F: So me old mate Eddie is getting hitched, hey? What's the matter?Can't stand the pace of the mmmm [grabs Edmund's tights]. Hey queeny. You look sexy. Listen, wear your hair long, I prefer it that way.
Queen Elizabeth I: [to the camera] I've got such a crush on him.

F: Hey Melchie! Still worshipping God? Last thing I heard He started
worshipping ME...Ah Nursie, I like it firm and fruity. Am I pleased to see you or did I just put a canoe in my pocket? Down boy, down. And now... where is this amazing bird? The one who stopped my old pall Eddie doing exactly whatever he wants, ten times a night.

E: Ah yes Flash, let me introduce my... my fiancee Kate.

F: Hi, baby! [Flash kisses the bride]

F: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils. You don't want to marry this jerk baby? Meet me on my horse in eight seconds.


Which is best?

Post 33

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Hi Jasegroom,

I've definitely not seen the episode you're describing...I can only wonder what's happened to it. All of the series had six episodes (that I'm aware of) and I've got the six from that series (that I'm aware of). Obviously, I'll have to track that one down. (With my luck, it's probably hanging out with that tape of all the songs from "Spitting Image" that I wish I'd picked up years ago and didn't; can't find it now and few have heard of it.)

Fruitbat


Which is best?

Post 34

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Hey guys - that "missing" episode seems vaguely familiar to me as well.

Must be one of the Comic Relief specials (good luck!)


Something you've completely neglected to mention...

Post 35

Jim, Lord of Fishnets

The Comic Relief and Prince Charles' Birthday Specials...

The first of these is on BBC Video, the second will probably never be seen again and I missed it... bugger...

If you haven't seen the former... or just don't care... I'd be happy to write a short bit about it to be included should you so wish...

Jamie, Lover of Sitcoms.


Key: Complain about this post