A Conversation for The Tact and Diplomacy of Prince Philip

Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

Every traditional family of any size has an "embarrassment" in the form of an older man who has been missed out altogether by political correctness.
The difference with Mr. Windsor is that newspapers and television newscasters delight in reporting his words and we react as if they were in some way representative of the nation. They are not and should be ignored as one would ignore the old codger if her were not in the Royals.
(The same goes for every unnelected person - footballer, rock star etc. Their views don't influence of often even interest me.)



Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 2

Boys and Cake Girl

But the point is (not that I agree with it,) that he IS supposed to be representive of the country. That's what the mad old goat's paid for. They shouldn't let him out.


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 3

Is mise Duncan

..or we shouldn't let him "represent" us.
I think that the sooner England becomes a republic (in effect, if not in name) the better - Monarchy denies citizenship because we are all Mrs. Windsors subjects!

(The fact that we pay him is a bit of a moot point, though. I think the royal family bring in as much dosh as they cost.)


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 4

Boys and Cake Girl

I agree about a republic entirely and that they do generate a awful lot of tourism...etc. But while things stand as they are, he is viewed as an ambassador whether we like it or not, which is what I find distressing. And I don't think tourism would drop off to a huge extent if they were scrapped- I hope not anyway as it would put my job in jepodysmiley - sadface


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 5

Joe aka Arnia, Muse, Keeper, MathEd, Guru and Zen Cook (business is booming)

I disagree. A republic is corrupt and there is no one to represent the entire country. We are a constitutional monarchy which means that a person (the monarch) acts to represent the interests of the ENTIRE public, not just those who voted for the party currently in power. Compare this to a presidential or senatorial republic where the head of state is only interested in their own agenda, not the public. We can choose to ignore Prince Phillip, he probably won't be here for much longer anyway.

Joe aka Arnia
smiley - fish
Monarchist, Communist, Catholic Fishies... (work THAT one out smiley - smiley)


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 6

Marionessa

Well, now. If we're going to be talking about elected individuals representing the country, we'll have no shortage of bon mots to quote. Don Felipe is a 'figgerhead' of notable proportions BECAUSE he is a royal. Why else do we support the royals in this day and age if not to mock them? Do we not pretend that they continue to represent the blue blood of the race--the aristocracy? Ah, yes. It seems to me that precisely because he receives that small stipend the country awards him, he IS due for inspection and, if need be, criticism.


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 7

Kubulai

Not sure if, and how much Phil gets paid, is he one of the ones that gets paid from the queens 7 mil or whatever it was.
I think international relations needs people like him. diplomacy and politics is nothing to do with reality in any case. at least we don't have to worry about him having control of the button, like Dan Quayle could have done. the world shook with fear when Bush got sick in Japan.
I'm not sure where I stand on the Monarchy these days, Maggie Thatcher for president was a thought that could have kept me awake at nights. Now who could be in the frame. Probably no one in public view now, Richard Branson or Chris Evans perhaps ~grin~ seriously though is there anyone who would make a good head of state? would the PM then just be leader of the house? how would it be organised? Or would the Prez be a toothless position? A guy with a shiney sword and a pith helmet with a feather in it?
at least with the Royals we can shrug and say "just goes to show what inbreeding can do" A president really would reflect the nation as it would be the nation that had chosen them. Micheal Portillo, Roy Hattersley, Arthur Skargill, any more to join the fray ~grin~


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 8

Is mise Duncan

Clearly Johnnny Vaughan [in "Big Breakfast" mode] is the _only_ man for the job. smiley - smiley.


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 9

Kubulai

Sorry, I've been out of touch Don't know Johnnie Vaughn.
How about Danny Baker?


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 10

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

No, no, no... Johnny Ball for president.
Oh, except that would make Zoe Ball queen or something... smiley - sadface


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 11

Kubulai

Johnnie Ball is a good idea, Zoe is a little strange but no stranger than any of the younger royals, I can just see it now the tabloids chasing her from one place to another.
and johnnies state of the nation address at christmas would be much more entertaining than the queens speech, they could link it together with the royal institutions christmas lectures or something.

What about Ian Botham? so he inhaled , so what?
or Billy Connolly now theres a man I'd like to see in charge of international relations ~grin~
of course there is always Richard Whitely he would make an excellent replacement for Phil the greek.

Of course it would be better for the papers too, they would get someone different to harass every four or five years

one serious note what would actually happen to the royals? would they be demoted? stay as the royal family but have no political role? something more permanent perhaps?


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 12

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Billy Connolly is an excellent choice, he could then implement his idea to use the theme from The Archers as the national anthem. smiley - smiley


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 13

Kubulai

I'd forgotten about that ~grin~ tum te tum te tum te tum


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 14

~:-)avi)

What would actually happen to the royals?

The French had a royal familiy once didn't they?

They may be able to tell you what happens to royals who 1) make faux pas and 2) are subsequently demoted.


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 15

Wand'rin star

They mostly got beheaded. Is that what you meant? Much as I'd like to see the back of our lot (the fuss over the Queen Mum's 100th was truly sick-making and I'm the other side of the world!) I think locking them up in a couple of their palaces, on a zoo principle so that the tourists could go and gawp at them, would be OK (and I'd support Billy Connolly too. Does it matter that neither he nor Johnny Vaughan are English?)


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 16

Is mise Duncan

None of the royal family are English either...so no, it doesn't matter. What nationality is Johnny Vaughan then?

Incidentally, Phillie has been out of the news recently - he didn't even manage to get a foot in during the QMs 100th....bet he was itching to though smiley - winkeye.


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 17

Wand'rin star

OZ, I think. It was an ironic question.Brenda's English enough, surely,unless you think that being married to a Greek disqualifies. I think he naturalised anyway?? He was standing about like the usual spare part.


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 18

Kubulai

There hasn't been an english King since the Normans got there, and the Angles were invaders anyway.
what with the "Welsh" (Norman?) Tudors, the Scottish (Norman?) Stewarts, the German Hapsburgs (Sp.) right up until own own sainted house of windsor (Nee Sax-Coburg Gotha) pretty much any nationality you could care to mention would fit in just fine. The only thing we seem to have drawn the line at would be that Simpson woman but that was because she was divorced not because she was American wasn't it? ~grin~

Anyway, Big Yin for President


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 19

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

What if Scotland declares independence? We'll want Billy Connolly back to run for president against Sean Connery...


Everyone's embarrassing old man

Post 20

Kubulai

Hmmm, good point
I have this thing about Scottish independence, as far as I'm concerned the Scots should be able to have it if they wish (after all we aren't getting any money out of the oil any more so that's not a problem ~grin~) the only real difficulty I see is that without the Scots votes England (I assume wales will want whatever scotland gets) will be stuck with a Tory majority till the end of time (Freedom for London) Red Ken for President of the Metropolis down with central government ANYTHING to stop Bill Hague and his Bovver Boys ~grin~ Scottish independence would be a disaster for England. Of course I don't see thatconsideration stopping anything, after the English Majority voted Margaret Thatcher BSE three times (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING)


Key: Complain about this post