A Conversation for Beer Laws

Australia

Post 1

Pond_Rat [life is weird - laugh at it.]

An interesting treatise on Laws, however you skimped a bit on Australia. Being huddled under the British Umbrella for the first 200 years or so of "white" history Australia has some interesting and often changing drinking Laws too.

Opening hours for most of the 20th Century reflected those in Britain, with the exception of the mid afternoon closing. However in the later decades most states relaxed their laws. Some to the point where Pubs not only are allowed to have poker machines, but are also open 24hrs a day.

Another curiosity for instance is the different drinking vessels available. A standard beer in Queensland or Victoria is served in a 7oz glass known locally as a 'pony' or a 'pot' respectively. In New South Wales however the same glass is known as a 'middy' and is what old-men and girls drink from, men drink 'Schooners' or 14oz glasses.

With take away (drink at home) beers there is one outstanding difference to the norm and that is the Northern Territory "stubbie". In most states a stubbie is either 250ml or 375ml, not in the territory up there they have 2litre stubbies....mind you it is rather hot.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more