Valentine's Day (also known as the most depressing day of the year)

6 Conversations

As promised an entry on this, my least favourite of all celebrations. Actually, I don't mind the subject matter, love, happiness, all that stuff. Its the general feeling of depression that descends about five days prior to said celebration that really irks me.
I mean let's face it, Valentines Day is just a shameless attempt by the greetings card businesses to grab some money off the innocents in love but for the rest of us, the day could be (and often is) categorised as a slow, painful descent into the hell that is singledom. And it takes at least 5 days to crawl out of the firey pit into something resembling normality.
All this yucky love stuff is just a way for all the couples to look smug and happy, forcing you further into the pit of despair you've recently begun inhabiting. Valentine's Day should be renamed smug couples day as they reassure you that "Its ok, you'll find someone soon" or "I just know there's someone out there for you" while you're having Ally McBeal type fantasies of machine guns and red hot pokers.
I have actually met some singletons who don't share this view and prefer to look on Valentine's Day as a time of hope and love. I have but one word for them: SUCKERS!
(Apologies to anyone who may have been hurt or offended by the deep aggression hidden in this entry.) :-(

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A263837

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more