A Conversation for Bell Huey UH1 Helicopter

Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 1

Norton II

General Giap of the Viet Cong was smart enough to use bicycles. He said that twelve bicycles can carry the same payload as a Huey. a bicycle is easier to repair and costs less to maintain. (And before any of you make smart arse comments like "Ah, but bikes can't fly, can they?" remember who won the war.)


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 2

evilwombat

But try to evacuate severely wounded soldiers out of a dangerous area while riding a bike (while stabilizing their injuries.)


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 3

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

Or at that fact, remember the death count: 20 vc to 1 us... hmm...


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 4

Norton II

And you STILL lost!


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 5

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

but would you want to win with 1,000,000 casualties?


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 6

evilwombat

I assume you are jumping to the possibly erroneous conclusion that the NYC student is American. How very French of you.


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 7

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

technically, yes, but culturally and intelligence-wise, no. Besides, Vietnam was a conflict the French were good to get out of. Us being the "policemen-of-the-world" don't have such common sense...


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 8

evilwombat

I meant French in the pejorative sense of the word, not the got beat even before the US sense of the word. They "had the sense to get out" only after they were defeated. Not that the US was any more sensible, they just had infinitely larger and more advanced resources available which allowed them to get beat over a longer period of time. Which brings us back to that excellent but politically neutral helicopter, the Bell UH-1!!! Avialable now in Columbia and Turkey!!!


Bell Huey vs. bikes

Post 9

bigFab

evilwombat (?Is there such a thing?), that was quite amusing!smiley - biggrin. But lets not forget that while the US was in the air, the VC were under the ground... It's a question of using what you have available to maximum effect. Whether the US 'won' or 'lost' is a moot point, as ultimately the ones that lost the most were the Vietnamese themselves... still, makes for some right good movies!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more