A Conversation for Bass Guitars

In fairness to contrabassists...

Post 1

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

The double bass, while cumbersome at time, is nonetheless a remarkably beautiful instrument in the right hands. Better than a bloody violin, at any rate. smiley - winkeye


In fairness to contrabassists...

Post 2

Jeffery the hyper-intelligent guitar

True my friend but you cant however dance properly whilst playing the double bass. You can with a bass guitar but its extemly difficult with a double bass. In actual fact I have tried. I strapped up a doulbe bass and tried playing it guitar style but movement was still very limited. Great fun though!!!


In fairness to contrabassists...

Post 3

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

That's because contrabass bancing is a different style than bass guitar dancing. Try getting one of those nifty omni-directional luggage wheels, attaching it to the end pin, and then ballroom dancing with your DB, treating it as your partner.

No, I haven't tried it. smiley - winkeye


In fairness to contrabassists...

Post 4

Jeffery the hyper-intelligent guitar

Nah man! You get a standard guitar strap and fix it on the end pin then, depending on the length of the strap, attach some string and tie it off at the top end of the kneck (excuse me I havent played Double bass for so long i forget the technical termonology). Like I said its a bugger to move with but if you have the stamina to go a whole song then... the crowd will love it! I also tried restin it on my leg length ways and playing it guitar style but that cut off the blood suply to my leg quite quickly.

I think my way is a little cheaper but I'll try your way if I ever get the chance. smiley - smiley


In fairness to contrabassists...

Post 5

GobyWan

It's true, you have very limited mobility while playing the double bass, but I've found that you can pivot quite a bit on the peg while playing jazz especially, and if you have a wireless patch or no patch at all, you can spin the thing at an appropriate break - very impressive to the audience.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more